Existing Member?

Explore the extraordinary

Catching a Moment - Lost in the beauty of Alberobello

ITALY | Wednesday, 17 April 2013 | Views [325] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

Just like the train station, the streets were empty. The opposite of what I had imagined when I learned that Alberobello is a well-known touristic site in Puglia. As there was no one to ask and no city map that I could grab, I decided to walk using an available navigation tool, one that is incorporated into my body: my instinct.
Having walked for some times, I had not seen houses as they were portrayed in my guidebook. I felt anxious, and my hunger made the situation worse. But I kept on walking, with more faith than certainty, believing that I could manage to get to the place that I had seen in my guidebook.
There was no single sign of how to get to Alberobello's heritage sites. I could only smell food from the area that I had passed through. My nose is my radar. But there was no restaurant open. A thought came to mind: I would knock on the door of somebody's house and ask for food, easy, isn't it? But before that happened, I suddenly saw a sign written 'UNESCO'.
As I had learned that Trulli, the unique traditional house in Alberobello, had been declared by the UNESCO as a heritage site, I did not think much, but to follow the signs. I kept following the 'UNESCO' signs, until I realised that they led me nowhere. It was an hour after I arrived at Alberobello train station, and I had not seen any single trulli. I stopped following the 'UNESCO' sign. To my surprise I found out, that 'UNESCO' means 'one way' in Italy.
I went in the opposite direction. With the help of a guy that I lastly found on the street and barely spoke English, I finally reached the truly beautiful houses of Trulli in Rione Monti. The beauty makes me forgot my hunger, so I directly explored those stunning sites.
The streets are narrow. I enjoyed walking around and stepping on the streets that are made of stones. Once in a while I stopped in the souvenir shop, also at Trullo Sovrano, which present the uniqueness of Trulli.
The sun was about to set when I finished exploring Trullo. I sat at the edge of the hills at the opposite side of Rione Monti, where people enjoy the beauty of Trullo. I wish life could be as peaceful as Alberobello on that day. I wish people could live side by side no matter which views they follow, like the holy symbols that painted by local artist Guido Antionetta on some Trullo's rooftops. It is perhaps through travelling and experiencing local history and traditions, people may be able to accept differences and live together in peace.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

Comments

1

'UNESCO' means 'One way'? Well!
You've reminded me of visiting a town in Denmark last year where there were a lot of signs pointing to something that I thought must be a significant feature of the town--until I learnt that those signs also said 'One Way'!

  nigelfromnewzealand Apr 17, 2013 11:50 PM

2

Yeah, when I went to France I didn't understand why Sortie was so important :). But it's true, language can be a barrier but the most important thing is your attitude and your will to discover life.

  Diego Chavarro Apr 18, 2013 1:31 AM

About d-explorer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.