Existing Member?

Whistles_Travel_Blog “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson

Last of working with Special Needs

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 11 July 2013 | Views [194]

CONSIPE

So with only a week to go until I leave Cochabamba, I feel that I have somewhat been neglecting this blog. Soz. For all those interested in what I´ve been doing out here, the reason I came, my physio experience overall has been insightful, and most definitely memorable. I shall expand. 

I was working at CONSIPE, the special needs school up until the end of June and will go back there on Monday and Tuesday when they start up again after having 2 weeks of holiday. In the meantime, I have been visiting hospitals, writing up hydro programmes and continuing working with burns. 

HYDROTHERAPY...

I managed to introduce hydrotherapy there, teach some students a little bit of what I know and print off programmes for each child that I worked with, along with the theory behind hydro and possible exercises to use for children or adults, giving copies to the physios and students.

I only hope that it will be continued as part of their physiotherapy programme after I leave, the only slight issue(s) right now is that the pool is currently broken and they are searching for a technician to fix it which could take months (most likely,) and the other issue that as its Bolivian winter (warm for the English adapted girl but everyone Bolivian complains of the cold and therefore doesn´t want to bring their child to go in the pool, get cold afterwards and then get ill…) Oh the barriers faced.

I had a great last day with the students when their placement ended, buying salteñas for all of them and having a little party in the office. I have grown to love the student I´ve been working closest with – Mayda is in her final year and I´m sure she will make a great physio. She has helped me improve my Spanish, I´ve learnt to be more innovative with her in this basic environment, and in turn I have tried to teach her a few tips as well. It is what projects abroad like to call an “exchange of information!” She was really sweet, gave me this little homemade card and a marble llama all the way from Uyuni as she knows since I visited Cerro Tunari and have commented on every llama jumper entering the school, I am slightly obsessed with the fluffy spitting creatures. 

PECS and Bubbles....

The little kids loved playing with the bubbles that I was given kindly to take with me at Lindon Bennett, and on my last 2 days I am taking my Spanish version of PECS (it’s a pictorial communication system) up to some of the classrooms, leaving one copy of the pictures in the physio department – so hopefully some of the pictures can come in use with those children such as Antony who I work with who is deaf and often has communication difficulties. I am really going to miss little cheeky Edson, but luckily have countless videos on my camera of his walking improving between the bars – but only because he wants to show off to the camera, demanding to see the video directly afterwards…MOSTRE ME CLARITA!!

One point I´ve definitely have picked up from working there, comparing it to my UK work experience is that unfortunately some children, for example those with cerebral palsy, which is a condition one is born with and whose outcome is determined by their environment – this means that due to the lack of resources and equipment here, their condition often deteriorates far quicker here, particularly with spines, hips and muscle length due to the lack of orthopaedic intervention or equipment such as standing frames or foot splints (here the children share the same set of ankle foot splints…) which is obviously sad to see (as a child like this outcome is just so location dependant.)

That being said though, all in all, I will be taking away some fantastic memories of funny, interesting and challenging situations of working at CONSIPE. My experience here, has not only taught me to be more authoritive (in Spanish...PARATE ...STAND UP!! ) but also work on my innovative skills in this environment which will hopefully give me confidence to work in any difficult or new environment in the future!! (touch wood...)

About cwhistler


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.