Existing Member?

Africa Escapades

Pitching a Tent in the Serengeti

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [128] | Scholarship Entry

As the safari truck zigzagged drunkenly from lane to lane, I promised myself I’d never complain about potholes back home again. We were weaving our way on a road made up of more holes than asphalt and learning the rules of camping in Africa.

One. Do not keep anything smelly in your tent other than yourself. Elephants can smell from miles away and will investigate.

Two. If an elephant picks up your tent, you must Be Quiet. Noise can agitate them. I’m not sure about you, but if I was hoisted into the air by an elephant I just might squeal a bit.

Three. If you need to go to the bathroom in the night, you can’t go alone. Wake your tent-mate, zip open the tent and scan the area with your flashlight. If any eyes reflect back at you, you aren’t allowed to go. My tip – Unzip and scan before waking anyone else. There’s no point in both of you being awake, legs crossed and confined by nocturnal creatures.

As we pitched our green canvas tents, the cook lit a fire. The scent of Nile perch and curried vegetables wafted over camp. Suddenly three baboons came charging across trees - two from the right and one from the left, rushing towards the food. It was an organized raid! Our previously mild-mannered cook yelled, stomped and waved his arms, scaring off the would-be thieves.

Early morning game drives featured a large herd of elephants crossing the river, babies surrounded by protective females and an adult male bringing up the rear. A cheetah with four kits leaping and rolling in the tall grass, and a lioness flopping down in the shade provided by the bumper of a jeep. Incredible.

Days ended with glorious sunsets and campfires. We talked with our crew about African culture and families. The driver shaking his head in disbelief about men being responsible for children from women other than wives, us in disbelief that they are not.

One night I was roused from a deep sleep. The shuffling and snuffling was definitely an animal circling my tent. I thought to myself, “Don’t even think about what it might be. Just go back to sleep.” And I did! If I’d woken, I’d have been nervous and needed to go the bathroom, which I wouldn’t have been allowed to do, as per rule three.

We packed up to head to our next destination, where there would be showers - if the elephants haven’t trampled the water lines.

You can’t get any closer to Africa, its earth, animals and people, than in a tent. Many companies offer camping options and I wouldn’t do it any other way.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About cwallach


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.