Existing Member?

Kat & Andrew's Worldwide Adventures

Salvador & The Island

BRAZIL | Monday, 12 March 2012 | Views [936]

On the special leap day of this year 2012, we flew to Salvador which has a population of 3 million people (half that of Rio de Janeiro). It is the African soul of the country; this is where the descendants of the salves preserved their African culture more than anywhere else in the new world.

We stayed in a hostel for 4 nights in the historic old town. I fell in love with the cobbled streets, colorful old buildings and all the African influenced arts and crafts. The drum beats echoed in the streets and many capoeira dances could be seen. The main square was where the slaves used to be sold…. It kind of reminded of me of Cartagena in Colombia which used to be a port that brought in and sold slaves.

We spent our days exploring the streets and indulging in a little bit of shopping. The days were hot so we would never last a whole day out. Back at the hostel we worked on applying for jobs as we will be back in NZ in less than 2 weeks! Andrew even had a lengthily skype interview with an agency. One of the days we got the local bus down to Barra to enjoy the beaches and the inviting beautiful blue waters.

Our hostel here was delightfully quiet. We had a 6 person dorm all to ourselves the entire time and only one other guest was in another room. Made such a pleasant change!

We caught a very small speed boat along with 15 other people to the island of Morro Sao Paulo almost 3 hours away. The going wasn’t smooth and I had to listen to my ipod to distract myself from the roughness. We stayed on the tropical island for 5 nights and it was stunning!

Beautiful palm trees and warm watered shallow beaches lined with bars and hostels and only one main street. It was very pretty but very commercialized. My favorite colour is blue so tropical waters just makes me fall in love with places like this. No vehicles which meant there were porters running around with their wheelbarrows carrying bags. For a change, the large amounts of tourists were Israeli instead of Australian and European.  Our hostel even had all the signs written in Hebrew as well as Portuguese. We had a spacious 5 person dorm to ourselves the first night then shared with another couple. Our room had our own bathroom and fridge, plus a hammock on the balcony. These are things you come to appreciate whilst travelling!

We spend our days lounging around in the sun, swimming, exploring the little town, reading in hammocks, eating loads of fruit and watching buff Brazilians in Speedos doing capoeira and flips trying to impress the scantily clad ladies at the beach.

Spending a whole day in a bikini gave me that same decadent feeling you’d get if you wore pajamas all day hehe. Coming from such a small country, especially as I grew up on a little island myself (Waiheke), I find it very hard to get used to sharing beach space with so many people! (Especially those wearing next to nothing, although it makes for rather entertaining people watching!)

As I sat in a hammock listening to my ipod, I thought that I should revel in this moment… knowing that tomorrow all that is install for me is another day at the beach… as soon, this laziness will be no longer. I will be back into the 40 hour working week with only 2 free days to play with…. But funnily enough, I am actually looking forward to it. I am very excited to show Andrew around my home country, and for him to meet those that are dear to me. I am excited about starting a career path that makes me happy (ideally)…. And I’m excited about becoming an adult, settling a little and starting to think about owning things again, like furniture – that would be nice!

I had a friend ask me once we were 3 months into our trip – “Are you over it yet?” The answer was well and truly “No”. Up until Brazil, I didn’t see the trip ending and I didn’t want it too. But something about reaching the last country of our adventure just flipped a switch for me. It suddenly made it real that it was coming to an end and that there was something on the other side – reality! And instantly, I began to ache for home. I haven’t been home since October 2010. Since reaching Brazil (18 weeks into our trip), having to lug our bags around and having to share personal space with strangers in dorm rooms began to annoy at me and grate at my nerves. Don’t get me wrong, being on this island is still incredible and I love it, but the joy is slightly tarnished with my eagerness to see my family. And you know me, being the planner that I am, I have already began my lists of things I need to organize once home!

One night we treated ourselves do dinner out at a restaurant. We sat on a couch on the beach and ate by candle light while listening to live music. The trees along the boardwalk by the beach were lit up, the moon was full and big stands displaying fruit offered to make any cocktail you desired.

Our final day on the island unfortunately, was overcast and raining. Still, we have had more than our fair share of sun in the last month and we have another week with nothing to do but to enjoy more of it!! We left to head back to the mainland and hurrah!! Good riddance to hostels and DORM ROOMS! Woo Hoo!!!!!!! That’s been the only downside to this island is the constant party and lack of sleep from the noise. I don’t mind people partying and having a good time when they’re on holiday, but after living in hostels for almost 6 months, people screaming and yelling and slamming doors until 3am really grates on my nerves….

Not long to go now!!!!

 

About cwalker1218


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.