Existing Member?

Kat & Andrew's Worldwide Adventures

Change

CANADA | Wednesday, 21 September 2011 | Views [518]

I have been through many stages in life… particularly in the last 5 years.

Change is an interesting thing….

4 years ago I ran away to London. I didn't feel like I belonged in New Zealand any more and I wanted out. It felt so liberating only owning one bag of things and that’s it - no home, no furniture, no wardrobe full of clothes I never wear….. I could pack up and move anywhere I wanted too in the blink of an eye with no worries. Nothing could hold me back, I had no ties to anything and it was perfect. At that stage in my life, it was exactly as it needed to be.

Running away didn't solve my problems however, I didn't exactly "find myself" but it gave me the strength needed to sort myself out once I had returned home a year and a half later.

Living in London was wild. I met fantastic people, many of which were travelers like me. I was always busy and having a fantastic time (even if a little homesick). I loved discovering places I had never been before, the unfamiliar was welcome and I savored the taste of freedom with no restrictions. I wanted to see everything! And I didn't see myself stopping any time soon...

I was dreaming of working on super yachts, cruise ships, at a clubmed resort or maybe moving somewhere in Europe just so I could keep travelling... countless options!!!

I had my moments of loneliness but in hindsight I am glad I took on the UK and Europe single. I don't think I would have done as much as I did, met as many people and gone to as many places had I have had someone else to think about and consider. Everything I did was for me. I explored parts of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland, as well as Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Belgium, Switzerland, Greece, Croatia & Egypt.

(You have to take these oppurtunitys to be selfish because once you have children, your life will no longer be about you…)

Unfortunately my working visa expired and I had to head home. At this point I was keen to see my family again, but I wasn't ready to settle. I went home with the intention of leaving again as soon as possible.

When I got back to NZ I was unhappy. I had to sort myself out and it was one hell of a process. Throughout it all, I secured a job and somewhere to live in Canada. That was my main focus and the light at the end of the tunnel.

I was home for a year and unexpectedly, I had moved into the next stage in my life. I had found my niche at home and I was comfortable, so I became less enthused about the prospect of leaving again.

I'm not one to back out of plans so I still went to Canada to work on a ski hill, even though I was beginning to wonder why I was still bothering. I lived in staff accommodation with a room mate - No privacy, pitiful wages and a group of people who wanted a constant party. I had lived the nocturnal and messy life for many years previous and I was tired of it. I liked everyone I met, and I loved snowboarding as much as I wanted, but the job and the partying made me feel like I should be 18 to enjoy it. Not 25. I was at the stage in my life where I should be forming a career path for myself and I felt like I was wasting time.

Then I met Andrew. I know its soppy (and I hate to admit that I tend to lean towards the world of soppiness from time to time….) but I really believe that he is the reason I was meant to come here. I came to Canada and I met my future. (Awwwww - give me a bucket :p )

We went on road trips to other mountains, went snowmobiling and dog sledding, and after the snow season we traveled a bit together and moved to Vancouver, where we currently still are. We will have been together for a year in November. It is now that I feel myself leaning into another stage in my life. I'm starting to want to stay in one place longer than 6 months to a year….. (shock horror!!)

I'm really wanting to focus on my career and get a job that I want to dedicate myself too and be happily successful in. Isn't it everyone's dream to find a job they enjoy? Not many people achieve it but im determined to find it. I've always wanted to be an event organizer but my other options would be travel agent or personal assistant. I never went to Uni, I chose travel instead, so I'll have to see what door opens for me....

I'm starting to want to own things - a home, furniture, decorations, books etc I don't want to have to think about "How am I going to fit that in my bag?" or "Buying that is the equivalent of a flight to such and such, priorities…." I'm getting sick of the SAME clothes all the time, it would be nice to have options instead of just necessity :p

I'm also starting to think about doing those things adults do… settling down, being somewhere familiar, building a nest and what not. (Ahem)

BUT --- these things are still far away. I'm very exciting about heading home to New Zealand to be with my family and friends (and getting to have a car again!), but being there is only temporary. We are only planning on staying for a year. And this of course, is after our 6 month nomadic lifestyle in South America starting in less than 2 weeks! This trip has been something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember. (Even before I met Andrew). So is South East Asia. These destinations are the type of places that are ideal to tackle for months at a time, not just a few weeks here and there. So before any "settling down" happens, that is exactly what we are going to do.

Regardless though, I will never stop travelling. Once I'm tied down, I'll just have to settle for short trips…. The thought of being restricted terrifys me though!

We should be living in Australia by the end of 2013 (after New Zealand and South East Asia). Is this going to be where I settle? Will I find my niche there? My career? Good friends? I don't know, but I'm looking forward to finding out!! And after being there a few years, maybe the NEXT stage of my life will begin, nest and all….. :)

About cwalker1218


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.