Existing Member?

Kat & Andrew's Worldwide Adventures

To Plan or Not to Plan

CANADA | Thursday, 25 August 2011 | Views [653]

I've always been envious of those who drift through their travel plans. They just turn up somewhere one day and just follow their feet from one place to the next depending on who they meet, and how they feel on that particular day....

That concept is so inspiring. I would LOVE to have that freedom, it would be so liberating! But I really don't think the way my mind is made will allow it.... Those of you who know me well, know that I'm a planner. I can't help it... no matter how much I try to just cruise... it just doesn't happen.

I traveled Europe for 3 months and had hoped that my friends and I would just go when and where as we pleased... but then we had to fit around some tours we had booked (Sail Croatia and the Tomato Festival in Spain), an event we wanted to go to in Amsterdam, meeting different friends in Germany, Austria, Greece, Ibiza and Italy - and before we knew it, we had a step by step day by day plan already locked in with no room to play with. Very unfortunate, but I had a blast and it was worth it.

Now my novio and I have this upcoming South America trip planned and I had thought, maybe this time I can do it! I really think Andrew would be capable of just drifting day by day, but of course I destroy that idea.

I made a list of recommended places from friends, added places that I have read about and like the sound of, then Andrew added a few locations to it (although on the whole he's happy to go anywhere and my list doesn't bother him) and BAM. We have just under 6 months to see everything (due to having to be back in NZ for a wedding, and due to financial limitations) and 8 country's to explore. Granted I saw 10 country's on my Europe Trip but we only hit the well known places, where on this trip, we're doing it mainly overland and are wanting to stop to see the little jewels along the way. But again, South Americas land space greatly out sizes Europe. So to fit everything in, a solid plan has formed once again.

I am also in awe of those who dare to travel alone, especially if they are female. This takes great confidence, bravery and being in secure in one ’s self. I have to admit that I honestly don’t think I could do it… There are safety reasons to consider, but mainly because I would find myself constantly craving to have a close friend or special someone to share these experiences and memory’s with. (However, many of these relationships are created from traveling with strangers).

I moved to London alone, but had friends already there. I moved to Canada alone, but went through an exchange program where I had the security of a home and employment before I even arrived. So really, I cheated :p

Travel is life changing; breathe taking, eye opening, and soul shaping…. I don’t know what I’d do without it.

About cwalker1218


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.