Existing Member?

Paradise in Mykonos

Agios Sostis

GREECE | Friday, 1 May 2015 | Views [261] | Scholarship Entry

On the north shores of Mykonos, next to the cerulean waters of the Aegean Sea, I found a sandy paradise named Agios Sostis. This small stretch of beach is just a short drive away from the centre of town, yet it remains blissfully untouched. Here you won’t find any beach clubs or waterfront cafés, you won’t find umbrellas, or restaurants, or the thumping beats that are so prevalent in other parts of the island. This is not the Mykonos that caters to party-seekers and hedonists. This is a place for savvy beach lovers seeking peace and quiet – nature in its most perfect form.

My first day there, I encounter a group of teenagers who have clearly missed the memo about the peaceful nature of this beach. They’re blasting their stereo, oblivious to the mounting frustration around them. A local woman politely, but firmly, informs them that there are “man-made” beaches in Mykonos for that kind of scene, and perhaps they might be more comfortable there. The teenagers leave, and the woman receives a round of applause from the grateful crowd.

While the sun shines on Agios Sostis from morning til night, I need a break around midday, and somewhere to satisfy my rumbling tummy. I head up to Kiki’s Tavern, a local spot, where island residents and tourists alike dine al fresco under the vine-covered pergola. Fresh meat, poultry, and seafood are cooked to perfection in the wood-burning oven and served alongside a rainbow of fresh salads. The wait is often a couple of hours, but guests sit patiently, making friends and enjoying the boxed wine passed around by the friendly owner who knows that a tipsy crowd is a happy crowd.

After lunch, I hit the beach again for a siesta and when I wake, I’m rewarded by golden hour. The setting sun lights up the ochre-coloured rock wall at the south end of the beach, giving it the appearance of being lit from within. The day goes out in a blaze of glory and I decide to return again tomorrow, happy to have found my slice of heaven on the sea.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About curiouscitizen


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.