Existing Member?

Enfant du monde

La vie en puce ( Life in puce)

FRANCE | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [188] | Scholarship Entry

It was pretty great,as i lay in my bed i could even see the stars,well at least those glow in the dark plastic stars someone had stuck on the ceiling. Nonetheless i did see them so that about sums up the way this city felt: as idealised as you would expect but also equally ironic as the stars i spent hours gazing at in my failed attempts to fall asleep.
You always heard about all the inspiring people who created in this city, some of your favorite music, books and films.So you felt as if you were part of something great, you had to be. I mean if not, what were you doing there?
And the city had indeed something of a bygone age lingering in the atmosphere. The seemingly untouched buildings, the foul odours, which somehow gave reason behind all those scarfy things everyone was wearing.
Of course the first few weeks all you wanna do is walk around and "live the fairytale".So you'd wander about for hours not having the slightest idea of where you were or how you would get back. And let's be honest it wasn't the alleys, or even the sound of several music boxes tuned by all those tourist shops to the sound of "la vie en rose" that did the trick.Most of the time you didn't even notice all that, you never cared to because the feeling was overwhelming.A feeling of unlimited opportunities, that you could at anytime hop on a train and be in a different city and it would not be such-a-big deal, or that all the people you would meet would care enough to be charming and share with you their wonderful and unique views on life,death and love.
The ways things unravelled, was the way things usually do,quickly, quietly and irrelevantly. For the most part i can for sure say that i found a place for these great men within me, as i was unable to find others to surround myself with. And it got rough to include myself and my mind in situations not completely under my control.The terms of the self and mind are not completely accurate, the sense of duality is though, because at this point it became clear to me that one person consists of a hundred thousand atoms that are more than willing to join him, in times of trouble.
And so the thick walls in all my favourite buildings became a shelter, the overpowering number of books in that "virtual" library became inspiring friends and my life was suddenly focused.Others said boring and unimaginative, but i found "others" to be stupid so i did not care if i failed to satisfy their cliched fantasies about parisian love, cheese and wine.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About ctefi

 reminded of the native's saying that a picture captures your soul

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.