Existing Member?

Charlie & Rosie's Gap Year

Hatsa- Nong Khua- Nong Kiaw- Luang Prabang

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 25 April 2011 | Views [779]

Hatsa- Nong Khua- Nong Kiaw- Luang Prabang

We took the slowboat the whole distance to luang probing- possible in 28 straight hours by bus, we decided to do it in 19 hours in 3 days by slowboat. Until the last day where we were packed in like sardines with just tourists it was a breathtaking journey of beauty, culture and comfort.

For raw information on how to do it:

Hatsa- Nong Khua

In Hatsa the boats go frequently south, but it does take 6-8 hours to reach Nong Khua so you essentially have to leave in the morning because boats do not run after nightfall. It says in the guide books that the cost of the boat is roughly 1,000,000 Kip. This is true but they do obviously try to charge you for more. The cheapest we could get for a group of three was 110,000 each. A group of three or less is possible as the boat journey is very popular with the locals getting to roadless villages. Also do not worry if the boat is packed at the begining it is very unlikely that anyone on the boat is going to Nong Khua.

Nong Khua- Nong Kiaw:

This part was slightly more tricky as roads are the main transportation for the locals. We were lucky that we found another 4 people to travel with us down the river to put our group up to 7. This of course made the trip slightly more expensive but we did get our own seats and boat for the whole trip. The price was around 150,000 kip each. This was also the best leg of the journey. To organise this all you have to go to the ferry corssing. the boats are all there and the drivers sitting around. Go there around 9 a'clock, earlier can be pointless. Don't be afraid to argue (politely) with them. We sat for about an hour till we got the price we were after. Duration: 6-8 hours

Nong Kiaw to Luang Prabang:

Out of all the trips this was definitely the most touristy. Packed like sardines. The price was fixed to 100,000. We also had to go out and walk for a bit because the river was low and the boat heavy. The journey was nice, I'm sure it would be better if it was your first slow-boat trip in Laos, but the overcrowded boat made it less comfy (the seats are already wood) and more unpleasant. The place to get the boat is obvious from where you arrive. If this is your first stop then the jetty is obvious from the bridge. Duration: 6-9 hours.

The pictures can only describe the karst stone cliffs that come out nowhere and soar to well over 1000m, the kids, the river and panoramic seating.


We bumped into Sim, Rory, Max, Pom and Tom by chance in luang Prabang. They had an additional 4 travellers with them Sylvia, Gemma, Mick and Ben. We changed our itinerary and joined there growing group to total 11 people. We went to the crystal clear waterfalls and out for a relaxed meal. The next day we headed south.

Tags: hatsa, laos, nong khua, nong kiaw, slow boat

About cscarlettsmith

nice profile pic

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.