Existing Member?

Walking in Beauty

The Journey Begins Before You Leave

CANADA | Friday, 2 August 2013 | Views [963] | Comments [5]

Lily

The lilies are blooming here at the homestead.  I planted them, each one with love and hope, when we first arrived here six years ago.  Next year someone elese will be admiring their beauty and perhaps wondering, as would I, about the woman who tended them and then left them behind.

Wherever we go in life, we leave a part of ourself.  It may be in a flower we planted, in a tree we cut down, in the heart of someone to whom we brought a smile, in a memory left with someone we gave a helping hand to.  Even a chance encounter and a short conversation with a stranger contains a footprint of who we are.

Conversely, we take away a bit of something or someone from every place we've been.  It may be a job, a location, a quick visit or a long stay - someone, something, will have touched our life and left an imprint on our heart.

When I think back to my time here, I'll remember with a smile the eagle flying overhead, the deer in the garden, the pink grasshopper that showed up this summer, and the snapping turtle that visited us each year.  Moments of walking in beauty, of feeling a part of a greater whole, of knowing that all - birds, bees, wildflowers and winds whistling through the trees - brought me moments of grace.

Walk in beauty.

Tags: grace, leaving, memories, walk in beauty

 

Comments

1

Memories......something we take with us and leave behind at the same time. So happy your dream is coming true!

  Janece Aug 3, 2013 12:08 AM

2

Leaving a garden is like leaving part of you behind.. So many memories tied up within the borders of those wonderful blooms... But as all good plants will tell you.. the next import part of a good garden is the planting of seeds... I am sure that throughout where ever you travel you will be planting many more seeds that others will reap and remember you passed by their way.....
Love to you in your Journey Joss
Sue xox

  Sue Dreamwalker Aug 3, 2013 12:59 AM

3

I think as much as we leave a bit behind we take a bit with us as well. Safe journey to you!

  SuziCate Aug 3, 2013 1:19 AM

4

I'd never thought of it this way, Joss, but you're right. And you've reminded me if something: My mother collected wooden antelopes and my Dad was always moving one or other of them them to unusual places. Years later, after the new owners had turned it into a country guest house, I revisited. And there, on the wide lintel above the front door, I spotted one, that he'd clearly placed there just before they left! I can remember Mum muttering that one was missing when she unpacked them in their new home ~ but he didn't say a thing. When I told her where I'd seen it, after he'd passed away, it made us laugh to remember his quirky sense of humour! I'm smiling now ....and so the journey continues. I like the clean look of this blog, particularly as you'll be posting loads of photos and it seems easy to post a comment. :)

  Jacqueline Aug 3, 2013 2:52 AM

5

Joss, for what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of this site, since I have to enter a "code" whenever I post a comment. (And since I can't see if you reply to my comment or not...I'll miss out on any dialogue.)

  Stef Aug 4, 2013 12:41 AM

About crowingcronejoss


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.