Existing Member?

Phnom Penh Volunteer Adventure

A brief history of Cambodia

CAMBODIA | Monday, 3 September 2012 | Views [766] | Comments [2]

As most of you know, I have decided to volunteer in Phnom Penh, Cambodia for three months.  I had an unexpected break in my work in Korea and in the three months it will take me to reapply for all of my paperwork, this opportunity arose.  I have travelled around Asia, but never extensively in Southeast Asia, and Cambodia has intrigued me.  Before moving to Asia, I knew almost nothing about the history of Cambodia, especially the horrors that went on in the 1970s and 1980s.  As I prepared for my trip, I read books and did more research on the Khmer Rouge and this brutal time in Cambodia's history.  Not many people know anything about Cambodia and I wanted to share a brief overview.  

As I learned more about the the Khmer Rough and their regime, I was shocked to discover that the horror was—if anything—worse than I had previously imagined. In the four years that “Red Khmer” controlled Cambodia, over two million people died from starvation, torture, and brutal killings—a full quarter of the country’s population at that time—making the period deadlier on a per capita, per nation basis than the American Civil War or the Rwandan Genocide.

Pol Pot’s communist “revolution” was the most radical ever attempted, making the Soviet and Chinese programs look sensitive and gradual by comparison: in 1975 all foreign ambassadors were evicted, schools and hospitals were closed, banking, currency, and private property were abolished, and religion, romance, and family loyalty were outlawed in one fell swoop without any kind of gradation schedule. Cities were turned into ghost towns as residents were driven into the countryside to perform fieldwork, where they were expected to produce incredible rice yields on meager rations (though many of them were lacking the most basic agrarian knowledge). Power was placed in the hands of the “pure” peasants and children, who were taught to obey all orders and use force indiscriminately, while former city dwellers and “educated elite” were considered corrupted beyond redemption, and thus expendable (excepting party leaders like Pol Pot, who were generally the best-educated of all).

This was the high point of the regime. As the city dwellers failed to produce great quantities of rice, everything got worse. Rations were decreased below starvation level while work hours were prolonged, and violence escalated. Pol Pot, unable to believe that his revolution could fail, suspected corruption within the party. Cadres and lieutenants were arrested and sent to Security Prison 21, where they were tortured until they confessed to working for the kgbcia, or Vietnamese government. Then they were asked to name fifty more conspirators (who were predictably brought in next) before they were taken to the killing fields. Their wives and children, charged “guilty by blood,” were also killed (the children usually by beating their heads against trees). These killings were mostly carried out by "pure," barely adolescent teenagers. In the countryside the educated were asked to step forward for “forgiveness,” then beaten to death, while everyone everywhere starved. If the Khmer Rouge had not antagonized Vietnam to the point that the Vietnamese army invaded in 1979 to topple the regime, it is likely that the Cambodian population would have been totally exterminated within a matter of two or three more years, Pol Pot left alone in his utopia, atop a monstrous pile of skulls.

Since the deadly regime was toppled, things have been infinitely better in the sense that people aren’t dying by the thousands, but in many ways Cambodia is still in the early stages of recovery. It took decades to rid the country of the last Khmer Rouge insurgents (whom the American government supported gainst the Vietnamese into the 1980s, and who were active into the mid-90s), and the country is still littered with millions of land mines laid to keep those insurgents at bay. Despite a un attempt to promote fair elections in 1993 the current government remains an offshoot of the one installed by the Vietnamese in 1979, rather than the people’s choice, and is largely irresponsible and unresponsive, making little attempt to meet its nation’s basic health and education needs, relying instead on foreign aid (much of which seems to vanish as it enters the country). Corruption is rampant and widespread (with Transparency International ranking the country in the bottom 1% in their worldwide corruption index). Many former Khmer Rouge leaders and cadres are in powerful positions in the current government, and many more live ordinary civilian lives, having never been asked to account for past deeds. In 2006 an international tribunal was established to try the most senior kr leaders, but it has met with numerous bumps in the road, and only one person has been convicted to date, with their sentence now being appealed.

So now I will get to become a part of this culture and give everything I can to make even a small difference in the lives of Cambodians.  I am so excited to begin my journey and hope many of you will keep track of my experiences.  

Comments

1

bz is awesome he is the best at being awesome and is amazing

  alex eatts Sep 3, 2012 1:44 PM

2

Many thanks for your concise summary of such a terrible history.

  ca Sep 21, 2012 1:56 AM

About crnash


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.