Existing Member?

Carrie's Adventure

Hiking adventure

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 28 December 2007 | Views [632]

On the 13th of December 2007 my Dad and I head off on the Spirit of Tasmania ferry from Melbourne to Devonport. After a bad nights sleep in an "ocean view recliner" we drove the Subaru to Launcestion to collect Mum and Sam after they got the good deal and flew to Tasmania rather than the bumpy boat. After scouting out our meeting place for a food drop later in the week, Dad and I set off up the hill to the Walls of Jerusalem National Park. After a tough slog up the hill we made it into the eden that is the Walls area. Such a wonderland of pencil pine trees ans creeks and lakes. Rocky hills wall the area on each side as we walked through to Dixon's Kingdom Hut. We dropped our packs to take the walk up Mt Jerusalem, which was well worth the effort, as the views we were rewarded with were spectaculr. We could see Cradle Mountain to the west, and accross to the east was an amazing maze of small lakes and rocks for it seems as far as the eye can see. The following 2 days were walking around the lake areas to the south to meet up with the Overland track. The shortcut involved hard walking, leeches, rather wet conditions, and crossing a suspension bridge that had been recently washed away after flooding. Our efforts were rewarded with a rest day at the New Hut on Pelion plane. Efforts to climb Mt Oakleigh were foiled by some super cloudy days, so we had a big day and hiked to Windy Ridge Hut via morning tea of biscuits and peanut butter at Kia Ora hut, while the others there packed their packs for the day! We risked the weather and took the side trip up to Pine Valley. Climbed the Acropolis... worth every drop of sweat shed to get up the seemingly vertical walk up the hill! After 9 days and 8 nights hiking and camping, we arrived in at the Lake St. Clair visitors centre into the open arms of a hot coffee, and a well earned shower. Flew home on the 23rd of December, worked Christmas eve, and had no time for my Christmas shopping!! What an awesome trip, definitely will go back to the Walls of Jerusalem area to have more of an explore and climb some more of the peaks in the area!

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About crjcarrie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.