Existing Member?

Mike and Carla are Globetrotting... 2 people, 1 van, 5 countries (+2 try-hards), 5 weeks...

(What was supposed to be) A Day of Rest...

SPAIN | Friday, 5 November 2010 | Views [338]

Departure day from Barcelona dawned orange and cold. I couldn't get out of bed. But Mike left the back door open so I didn't get much choice.

It was worth it though, to eat my cornflakes out the back of the van watching the sun rise.

Next on the list was to ferret out the helpful older German guys I had greased up to the evening before who were going to jump-start us...hopefully. So they came over, annnd...it didn't work. The cables heated up and I think they would have jumped into life before our poor dead battery. So, out of the boot of this little hatchback, they pulled these heavy-duty cables, asking if we bought ours in China. Well, what choice do you have in the middle of Barcelona? Anyway, it worked and we were on our way.


We had been hitting the track pretty hard since London (even in London) so we agreed to find a campground a bit further south and chill for the afternoon and next day. First was a lunch stop. Mmmm. More circles, this time around a seaside town called Vilanova i la Geltrú. There were no cafés around, those we did find had no parking, so we hit the supermarket bakery, had another forgettable meal and carried on.

We stuck to the coast, winding along seaside cliffs one minute and through quiet (read: empty) leafy towns the next. We actually walked on the beach at one stage, which was a bit of a novelty, with its random grove of palms in the middle.

The Costa Dorada coastal drive is gorgeous on a sunny day. It's winding, cliff-hugging and visually stunning...when you can see through the squashed bugs on the windscreen. We had collected quite a few stubborn ones that resisted all wiper efforts of removal, so Ruby was in for a wash.

(He washes my coach when I'm working, and his own car when I'm not :P... )

After a while we had a spark of inspiration (where did that come from?) and dropped into a tourism office in one of these towns, Calafell, which surprisingly was open. The girl there was so nice and helpful, gave us a heap of maps, photocopies of campsite info and facilities and, importantly, directions.

Finally we started seeing campgrounds pop up along the way, most of them backing on to the beach. Perfect. But, campsite after campsite displayed a closed sign ('tis the season). At a roundabout I made a split-second, last-possible-moment decision (I'm good at doing that, poor Mike) to follow signs leaving the main road to “let's just try this one”. It took us down some interesting streets but, I'm proud to say, it paid off. The campground, Torre de la Mora, was nice.

It was really modern, had beach access, and all its sites and cabins were terraced onto the side of a shady tree-covered hill. Gorgeous. The security guard, who was for some reason responsible for allocations, squeezed us into an uneven corner of the campground, next to a chest high wall separating us from a rocky drop to the water on the other side. From this point the sun rose and set over the ocean. We decided if we went straight out to sea we would hit Nice. Great (insert serious note of sarcasm here). East would have been Greece...some fond memories for Mike :)

Dinner that night was tacos. We just need a little more practice for toasting the shells. The second batch was better than the first. And the campground had heaps of washing up sinks! Everywhere! With hot taps! And lights! Geez, the things we get excited about these days! In the morning, I made a failed attempt at French toast. I dunno, too much wind, heat not even enough...but it was disastrous. The next round, egg-in-bread, worked much better. The washing up was not pleasant though.

We actually got to sit (or lie, as you generally need to do in the back of Ruby) and enjoy the sunshine that day. It was a bit too cold for the beach, but to just read a book was like therapy, especially for Mike. Until the battery went flat again. This cost us €5 in a tip to the campsite handyman (with his super heavy-duty cables), and prompted a quick dash into town for a new battery. Mike insists “it shouldn't be going flat that quick, even with running the fridge”. Okay, fine. “But we'll still carry the old one.” Okay, sure. Space isn't already at a premium, no. Apparently, the old one might come in handy one day.

But electricity was becoming a problem in general. It gets hard to rough it in the gadget-packed 21st century. Mike and I were alternating phone chargers with the iPod transmitter for the front socket, and I couldn't leave my camera and laptop (I know, but if I didn't have it, you wouldn't be reading this!) in any wall sockets long enough to charge properly. So into the basket, along with the new battery, went a cigarette socket expander (you know, multi sockets off one?) and an inverter. Genius. Now we can charge everything in the car. And to date, at the time of going to print, we still haven't had another flat battery.

One thing that caught us by surprise (and it probably shouldn't have) is that it is actually cold in Spain at this time of year. We didn't visit the beach that day, and the night before had been really cold (especially for Mike, I put a sleeping bag under my side of the sheet). So we were also shopping for a doona/duvet to put between the air mattress and the sheet. Well, finding the size you want in the UK is hard enough in English, let alone in Spain in Spanish. We hovered around the bedding aisle for several confused minutes before I asked a fellow shopper, feeling hopeful but resigned, if she spoke English. She spoke English very well, as an Irish-raised Scot resident and was really helpful getting us what we were looking for. So we set off from the shop the excited owners of a warmer bed, and lots of electrical options.

Back at the campsite, Mike cooked dinner, hamburgers. We were really impressed with how varied, however simple, our meals were shaping up to be. All we cooked on these things in high school was 2-minute noodles. And these hamburgers were gooood. :)

About crazyeyes_and_flyingfraggle


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.