Existing Member?

India as a girl

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 10 April 2012 | Views [137] | Scholarship Entry

It all started wIth a movie.Darjeeling Limited was the film that inspired me to go to India. It wasn´t easy at first, telling people you are planning to go by yourself to the other side of the world often gives you that look of: are you crazy? But honestly who can´t blame them, we are always afraid of the things we don´t know. But my mind was set on a goal, I was going to India and since I´ve always been the kind of girl who believe in signs and fate, all the pieces of my trip start settling and I knew that was it.
The day had come and I arrived on a Sunday morning to the Indira Gandhi airport in Delhi and I will never forget the feeling of stepping for the first time in this amazing contrasting country.
It all started with the mayhem of the traffic with cars, tuk tuks, cows, people and it was this beautiful chaotic mixture of noises, smells and images that made me realize this trip was going to be very different from all the others.
And it certainly was! From losing my passport to get yelled at the streets for wearing jeans and t-shirts (Mainly because I look kind of Indian, I´m brunette and have a nose piercing so I think that influence in some part). Anyway I had a real glimpse of what is like for women to live in India. I got really close with a group of some of the most beautiful girls I´ever met. And one of the most frequent questions they had for me was: How does it feel to be in love? That´s a hard one! How can you explain something like that to a 10 year old? But seeing how they were supposed to get an arranged marriage with someone they don´t even know! It was both a beautiful and shocking moment. How can something so beautiful and innocent can accept that fate just because of the tradition. That´s when I realize how free we are. All those opportunities that came along just for live in another country.
I felt in love with them just for that. They have this unknown fate ahead and they just embrace it by smiling. They should be an example for all of us.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About cosmicmars

@ NY

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.