Existing Member?

My little loves and memories of the tiny war torn island of Cyprus

The Dance of Life in the Ghost City.

CYPRUS | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [223] | Scholarship Entry

We kissed and laughed and ran across the street,drunk with vodka and happiness.Musicians crooned in the stage ,as a belly dancer twirled, staring into a starry sky till infinity. The ancient stone walls of the kaleici square danced with lights and shadows of the people bustling by.We counted three ,two ,one, and heard the cheers of the couples,fireworks lighting up the sky.
My lover hitched me up and carried me on his back.We made our way down the stone arches ,and walls,discussing our final year here,jostling through the crowds of breathtaking people with big hazel eyes ,always dressed up in latest fashion .We made our way from the ancient vaults ,to open roads and promenades, with ancient old stone gates barricading the harbor .
On the beach, Stretched till eyes could see,were people dancing to the songs,played by a DJ,Students putting up a bonfire and playing guitars,the sea glittering as fireworks lit the sky.From the distance the young people from war-torn lands of Palestine ,Syria, Tunisia, Kosovo ,to the Turkish, Swedish, Russians ,British and Americans .From unknown nations of Turkmenistan ,Mongolia and Kazakhstan to Pakistan. Dancing ,celebrating the new year, connected by the same beat ,same rhythm, not caring for the languages they spoke, and barriers of their skin .How did I end up here?
By the media back home, this was the ghost town of Famagusta, a relic of the past since 1974,a waste land of war and politics.
In my years here I had choirs with Africans, and dinner with Cypriot people, worked in fashion shows with Russians ,and dealt with British and Swedish .Chinese people thronged into the city,And Turkish, Lebanese, Jordanians and Iranians made festivals a food fiesta. And as I watch the enormity of people, creative celebrations ending late into the night,I know they are very wrong.

From the glittering harbor and the ships ,to the solitude of amphitheater in salamis ruins, the olive vegetation with haystacks , sea weed that grows instead of grass ,castles that felt like a childhood dream, the bustling beach parties, and clubs and the infinite people that mingle from all over the world, Famagusta is an eye opener. It is a lesson in cultural acceptance and humility, with rich food and fashion, friendship and above all ,young love. I came across people whose countries I never knew existed, and learned to cherish the colors of olive, fawn and blue under the bright sun. Famagusta,is alive, throbbing with diversity and life, and well.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About cosmiclove


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cyprus

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.