Existing Member?

Single Traveller

Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Ayuthaya

MALAYSIA | Monday, 21 July 2008 | Views [2271] | Comments [1]

I love traveling. Especially to undeveloped countries, because it reminded me of how lucky I am to be a Malaysian, to have a career and to be earning a steady income, to have enough food to eat and a roof above my head. Sounds cliche, but that actually keep my feet on the ground. And every time I am tempted to splurge on designer stuffs, I get a wakeup call that a couple hundred of Ringgit can feed a family in Cambodia.

Anyway, there were a few trips that gave me a heavy heart when I board the plane home, but there are also several few that had wished I hadn't came in the first place. This trip is one of them.

I touched down at Suvarnabhumi International Airport at 10pm last Wed. Checked into Rambutri House at Rambutri Road. I figure it was after dark and too dangerous to be roaming around Khaosan Road for a room, so I had it pre-booked earlier on the internet. Although a bit pricey from the usual RM30 room I am willing to fork out for accommodation. (this one cost RM90 for double bed) But hey, it's a great hotel with private bathroom, air con, clean and nice smelling bed sheets, soft pillows and most important of all, it has Star Movie channel! :p

The flight to Chiang Mai the next morning was alright, slight air turbulence that made my heart skipped a beat. Was extremely cloudy that morning...and I hate flying in cloudy weather. I figured that if the plane crash and if I was gonna die, I need to have a clear view of my surrounding. I don't want to be 'trapped' within the clouds with no way 'out'... so much for my imagination hah!
Anyway, thank God I survive the air turbulence and reached Chiang Mai in one piece.

There is a certain vibe that you get from a foreign place, it's either love at first sight for hate at first sight. I don't know what to make out of Chiang Mai.

Lonely Planet said it's less manic like Bangkok and people are generally nicer. Although I can't say much about my guest house owner (Sarah the English lady) nor the waitress in Ratana's Kitchen, I did however befriended a lady (Paa) who sells sweet corn and a couple who sells Roti by the road side near Sarah's Guest House.

Paa actually reminded me a lot about the man I befriended at Vientiane (who owns a baguettes shop). Both were kind hearted people, whom I 'stalked' every night because I needed company away from the 4 walls in my room that was driving me insane. Truth to be told, I think I was the only tourist at Sarah's Guest House! And its impossible to talk to the locals at guest house because they couldn't understand what I was saying.

I was bored to death in Chiang Mai. The temples doesn't excite me, I didn't take much photographs, not to mention that the one day tour to see the hill tribe people was a complete ripped off. Yes, we did see the hill tribe people but it's so 'unreal'. It's more like a little village made for tourist.

'Long-necked' Padaung Tribe


One thing that is worth the visit though...its the night market! Chiang Mai is like a shoppers paradise! Everything is so darn cheap. Perhaps 2-3 times cheaper than Bangkok! From hill tribe jewelry, clothing, scarfs, bags, books to home deco etc.


I wished I had more time in Chiang Mai, then maybe it will grow on me. It's actually quite a likable city and I really don't mind going back for a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th time.

Oh yes, till this day I am still dreaming about my 6 month (or 1 year) backpacking trip. If, and IF I do get that materialized, I would start with Krabi - Bangkok - Cambodia - Vietnam - Laos - Myanmar - Nepal - India - Bali. A gal can dream and what can I say... dreams come true when I dream haha!

I was quite relief to have reached Bangkok. All the vulnerability vanished into thin air, and I spend the rest of the day nursing my bloody cramps and indulged in movies after movies on Star Movie channel :p

Hualamphong Train Station

Then I had that crazy idea to visit Ayuthaya the next day. After looking at the postcards with Buddha images from Ayuthaya, I knew I just had to go there and experience the serene and majestic surrounding of the old city.

The journey to Ayuthaya by train took about 1 and half hours and cost only 15 baht. Like the trains in Indonesia, Thailand has pretty FAST trains!

I was sitting by the window and after 1 and half hours of wind blowing at my face, my hair became so dirty and sticky! So sticky that it actually entangled itself! So, once I reached Ayuthaya train station, I rushed to the opposite street (with confidence that I would find a hair saloon) to get my hair wash! haha...that only cost me 50 baht!

Then I hired a tuk tuk driver for 750 baht for a 3 hour temple tour. (one hour usually cost 300 baht).

At Wat Pra Mahathat - Ayuthaya.
Buddha head embedded in twisted tree roots


At Wat Pra Mahathat - Ayuthaya


The temples were quite fascinating with the likes of Khmer style. Would be ideal if I could spend a day or 2 in Ayuthaya and take my time at the temples instead of having to rush through temples after temples. What to do? Time is money!

Anyway, the one day trip to Ayuthaya definitely worth every baht :)

Tags: ayuthaya, bangkok, chiang mai, thailand

Comments

1

hi there,

enjoyed reading your blog on ayuthaya. would be heading Bangkok 1st july for 4 days 3 nights.

quick question: where do you board the train from BKK to Ayuthaya? And is it worth a day trip?

first time to BKK so any advise /tips appreciated.


elena

  elena Jun 1, 2009 9:06 PM

About cosmicfavorite


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.