Existing Member?

A Search for Significance

Bears, Mosquitoes, and Sun-Burns Oh My!

CANADA | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [192] | Scholarship Entry

I personally have never gotten the chance to do much traveling due to financial situations, yet i had the opportunity to travel up north near Lake Huron, to stay with my best friend's family for 2 weeks up at their cottage. I had first seen this as an opportunity to get a great tan, meet cute boys, explore the great wildlife that Canada had to offer, and relax. This trip was anything but relaxing. You see, the Dyck's are a very healthy lifestyle enthusiast type family, i come from a family of couch potatoes so you can picture the early trouble i faced already. There wasn't a day we didn't go on a 2 hour hike, or had a meal without a huge salad. I was missing my daily chocolate bars and Netflix so badly, i nearly wanted to try biking to the nearest town just to feed my cravings. There was some hope at a campfire we were going to have but there had been a fire ban in the local area so we couldn't make hot dogs, or s'mores which were two things i had been deprived of for nearly 5 days now. I again still had hope that something good would come out of this, but no instead being a girl, my monthly gift had decided that now was just the right time to arrive. Right in the middle of a cocoa famine, and if there is one thing a woman needs while on her period is an endless supply of chocolate. Needless to say i had given up any hope that this trip had to offer until one of the last days we were there. We were on one of our very long hiking adventures when we had stumbled across a baby bear and it's mother, we witnessed a wonderful bond between mother and cub and it was barely 300 ft away! The following day we went up to Sauble beach where i got the worst sun burn i have ever had, but it payed of with the amazing tan it later turned into. Finally, on our last night there we witnessed the most beautiful sunset, despite the clouds of mosquitoes i actually enjoyed something other than what was on my television back home. Overall, this trip was one that taught me that i had grow to appreciate the little things more, and i really did. I now look at a hike as opportunity to seek out beauty in a naturalistic way, and i see healthy eating as a way to better my physical well being. Yet although i was asking myself for many days "How did i end up here?" i ended up realizing that this trip had surely widened my perspective on the world and what it has to offer if i just took a break from my routine and walked outside.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About conformationtofreedom


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.