Existing Member?

Cannonball Cole and His Traveling Camera

Termales, Surf Town

COLOMBIA | Wednesday, 25 November 2015 | Views [627]

After breakfast I made the full hike to Termales, 45 minutes on the hot beach hauling a tripod and a backpack full of gear. I was in search of some extra b-roll and possibly some follow-up interviews after getting a great one from Nestor and another surf club member, Santiago, the day before. I ran into Nestor and learned there would be another surfing class that afternoon, this time for kids younger than 5. I shot a bit of that class, watching as toddlers just learning to walk were becoming comfortable in the water on surfboards, sometimes 4 of them on a board at once, guided by an older member. Termales will truly be a surf town once this generation comes of age, and it was really special to watch the beginnings of it. 

Kids Surf Class

After the class I met a man named Davidson, a father who had two kids in the surf club. I got a great interview from him about how important the club is for keeping the community together. Without a motivation like the surf club, many young people leave the small beachside village to pursue underpaid and often dangerous jobs in construction in Medellin, the nearest city. Because of the surf club, the kids stay and maintain the traditions of the community of Termales. I was very glad to meet him, and after chatting with Jhonjairo again I called it a day and hiked back to El Cantil.

Father And Daughter

Kids Of Termales

Tags: beaches, colombia, pacific coast, surfing

About colemanlowndes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.