Existing Member?

Cannonball Cole and His Traveling Camera

El Cantil & Meeting Nestor

COLOMBIA | Monday, 23 November 2015 | Views [627]

We woke up and had breakfast at the eco-lodge in Utría before loading up some kayaks and paddling to the opposite shore to go on a hike. Fausto in the lead, we trekked through the jungle for about an hour before reaching a gorgeous untouched beach, where we of course took a morning swim. 

Most of the day was spent on the water, traveling back to Nuquí to drop off Fausto and then continuing on to our next eco-lodge, El Cantil. We passed several coastal communities on the way, clusters of houses and docks that sit right along the water. The personal boats of the artisinal fishermen are parked right outside. 

Fishing Village

Brian

When we reached El Cantil, I had a stroke of good luck. I was unsure of how to originally approach my surf club documentary that would be filmed in Termales, a community about a 45 minute walk down the beach from El Cantil. I figured I would walk there the following morning to start looking for interviews and hopefully get to see a class. By chance, the head of the surf club and my eventual key interview for the doc, Nestor, was at El Cantil when we arrived. I met him and we walked along the beach toward Termales, chatting about the surf club and learning that there was indeed a class at 4pm the following day! We parted ways halfway to Termales as the sun was setting with plans to meet at his house the following morning and I snapped a quick candid portrait of Nestor in the evening light. 

Nestor

Sunset Near El Cantil

 

Tags: beaches, colombia, fishing, pacific coast

About colemanlowndes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.