Existing Member?

Meander with us

Rafting

CHINA | Wednesday, 17 April 2013 | Views [366] | Comments [2]

Today was magnificent, rafting down the river near Yangshuo, though I think our photos will not present the landscape well, because it was foggy (not smoggy) for most of the day.  But the place is constantly surprising, with huge mounds popping up out of the ground each time you turn the corner (Well they presumably don't actually pop up as you round the corner - probably been there a few years now - but new surprising vistas are constantly appearing.

Rain was predicted for today, so initially we just went walkign into the village.  It brightened up a bit so we took a bamboo raft ride and are very glad we did.  It was a very relaxing, quiet float down the river (except for the poor guy who had to push us down the river!).  Every now and again we went over a wall and dropped a metre or so - all very exciting.  At the end of the ride we found a spot where all the local tourists were taking short rides - glad we didn't do that.  It was all very noisy and crowded.

Then we walked back to our hotel and the weather started to clear up more.  Had a glass of (Australian) wine and the world is looking very rosy.

Tomorrow we plan another boat ride, and perhaps take our like into our hands with a scooter. (The traffic here is crazy in the village - though quiet where we are now.  Scooters go everywhere.  If I don't write again tomorrow night, check the obituaries!

 

 

Comments

1

Hey - you didn't write last night. How was the scooter?

  Jan Apr 19, 2013 6:48 AM

2

Jan
By the time we got back from yesterday's fantastic trip it was nap time so we skipped the scooter.
Maybe today?
Colin

  Colin Apr 19, 2013 10:02 AM

About col_n_sue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.