Existing Member?

Meander with us

Egypt

EGYPT | Tuesday, 18 October 2011 | Views [349]

Well, Here we are in Jordan already!

I didn't get a chance to update the blog in Egypt because it was all go go go, and the internet availability was very poor - at least where we were.

Egypt was fantastic.  The ancient history was fascinating, and made me want to learn more.  I have so many questions about the rise of this civilisation in a place where the agriculture only extends a couple of kilometers from the Nile (if you are lucky), and where it used to get flooded annually.  How did they manage to support a population large enough to be able to produce the buildings and artwork? 

The tombs, pyramids and temples did not disappoint.  The guides were very enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

Just as interesting is the modern history, and the changes in the last year.  January 28 is a special day for many of the people we spoke to, but for those on the poverty line (and that is many in Egypt) many seem to prefer the status quo and are struggling just to survive.

Our tour leader had some savings, but with low tourist numbers this year he has had very few tours to lead.  In fact, this was his last tour as Peregrine has sold their Egypt operation to Intrepid.

We are off to a Bedouin Camp now, so I must sign off.  Lots of photos to load up and lots to tell when we return.

Tags: egypt

 

About col_n_sue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.