Existing Member?

Meander with us

The first week

GERMANY | Sunday, 18 September 2011 | Views [243]

I am sitting in Chris’s grandparent’s house in Schenefeld, Germany writing this instalment of the blog.

It is an interesting house, built by Chris’s great grandfather.  Parts of it are a bit rundown now, but it  originally incorporated a bakery which has long since closed.  Chris’s maternal grandparents name was Backenhaus (Baker House) an excellent example of nominative determinism.  The house has many nooks and crannies to explore.

The house backs onto the local cemetery.  The graves have impeccably kept gardens, but once your grave lease runs out, the headstones are unceremoniously dumped.

The weather has been reasonable with a bit of “liquid sunshine” to use Chris’s dad’s term for rain.

The village is relatively small, but Sue and I have enjoyed wandering around it and visiting the local bakery.  The local Lutheran church was originally built in the 11th century, with significant updates in the 1600s and more recently in 1909.

Our flight from Brisbane was due to depart at 2:30am but we were held up and did not get away until 5am.  Not a good start!  Nevertheless, we have enjoyed all other aspects of the Emirates flight and even found the food quite edible.

We had a one night stopover in Dubai.  The temperature (45C) was the first thing to hit us.  We could see the worlds tallest tower, but it was largely obscured by the dust haze.  We wandered through the shopping centre, but it seemed to be targeting people with more money than us!  I didn’t even bother to wander into Cartiers.

The general workers (mostly if not all from other countries – about 126 countries apparently) are not highly paid, but all I spoke to enjoyed living there with its freedom and lack of conflict.  I wonder how the country will survive once they run out of oil?  (Fuel  here is about 30c/L)

Anyway – back to reality. 

Just had a chat with my dad (isn't Skype great!) and I am sitting in the kitchen while Sarita is with Sue trying on her wedding dress.  Then we are off to visit Chris's mum in Hamburg.  We are all getting excited looking forward to the wedding in 2 weeks time.

In the meantime, Sue and I will be in St Petersburg.

Auf Wiedersehen.

Tags: schenefeld

 

About col_n_sue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.