Existing Member?

Meander with us

Yabba Dabba Do - Tue 16th Oct

TURKEY | Wednesday, 17 October 2007 | Views [698] | Comments [2]

Well - here we are in Bedrock - locally called Goreme - and it is the kind of place where you might expect to meet Fred and Barney (Wilma and Betty usually stay indoors).  The houses are built into caves in these fantastic rock formations.

But I am getting ahead of myself.  The wedding was fascinating - these Belgians really know how to party.  I told you about the activities from 10am on the morning of the wedding up until about 5pm. We went home for an hour or two before the evening festivities and if I had known what was coming I would have had a nap!  We went to the reception about 7pm and had a wonderful meal of a salmon entree, mushroom soup, venison and then an unbelievable dessert buffet.  Belgians really enjoy their dessert and especially chocolate, you for some reason they are not particularly overweight (Elkes family are all very slim yet like to eat chocolate for breakfast!)

By the time dessert came, it was already well after midnight.  There was only one speech and Tom!s dad kindly said a few words in English.  After dessert, the music and dancing started.  I was very tired but gradually started to wake up.  The dancing continued until 5am with people of all ages - not just young people.  Elke!s aunties and uncles really got into it.  THere were waltzs and modern music but also some crazy dances.  I joined one that started as a conga line, then turned into what I thought was going to be a mexican hat dance but was actually a kissing dance.  I was dragged into the centre of the circle fairly early and then quickly picked up that I was suppoed to kiss the person - Belgian style is 3 kisses - one on each cheek. Lut - Elke's mum - then explained what was going on and I had to pick a woman from the circle, then get down on one knee with her on my knee to kiss.  I got the idea fairly quickly!  Another dance they all sat on the floor and pretended they were rowing a boat or something.  Then they all started cheering and swinging knapkins around their heads - I think the song was about a cyclist named Tom (Elke's husbands name).  The whole day and night was an enthusiastic celebration and it was great to be part of it.  We were seated near some English speakers (most there spoke at least some English) so it was easy to talk and a most enjoyable and memorable evening.  We were very glad we were invited and had decided to come.  I was feeling a bit guilty about only speaking English until I remembered that the whole reason we were there in the first place was because of our English (Elke came to do an exchange to improve her English) so then I didn't feel too bad.

We slept in until midday on Sunday!  The family were very generous to us and looked after us very well.  We hope they will come to Australia some day so that we can return the generosity.

Monday we got up at 4:30am to take An (Elke's sister) and Sarita to the airport.  I was amazed at the amount of traffic on the road at 5:30 in the morning.  We had been going to go sightseeing after dropping them off as our flight (from a different airport) was not leaving until 11am.  After seeing the traffic and being caught in several traffic jams before 7am we went straight to Brussels airport.

The rest of the day was spent in planes or terminals or buses getting to Goreme.  And here we are.

We have some great memories to take back with us about the wedding. Thanks to all the Devuyst clan.  (Did I mention that wives never take on the husbands name here?  I guess it makes it simpler in some ways.)  We were introduced at the wedding as Beavis/Fitzpatrick - a name Sue has not used for 30 years.

The sun has set here in Goreme and it is cooling down (3C tonight I think).  Today we took it easy and went walking nearby to the Goreme open air museum.  THere were churches hollowed out of the rock starting with St Basil in the 2nd century, though most of the cave churches are from the 12th century.  A truly amazing place.

Off on a tour tomorrow and as there is a computer at this very friendly hotel I may get to write again.

Colin in Bedrock (Goreme)

Tags: Sightseeing

 

Comments

1

Hi Colin - we are eagerly awaiting your photos (maybe even a demonstration?) of the dances. You and Sue should have done some Morris dancing for them - you could have re-used the napkins.

  Jan Oct 19, 2007 6:09 PM

2

Dear Sue and Colin,
We are now at your house, together with cheryl and Brian, being deeply impressed by your blog and all your various travel experiences. We arrived last night and Lisbeth and I will continue tomorrow to Cairns. We are having a wonderful time in your country where everything is different from Europe. Thanks for your hospitality. Deeply appreciated!!

Love, Lisbeth & Christian

  Lisbeth and Christian Oct 24, 2007 9:17 AM

About col_n_sue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.