Existing Member?

Gone walkabout

Mexico 2012/2013

MEXICO | Thursday, 17 January 2013 | Views [1125]

 

Mexico

 
We left Asia a week ago and I am in awe of how much I love Mexico. After spending  3 days in LA doing the Disneyland thing and catching up with the eldest two of our children we were all more than ready to hit the road. We had booked a great hostel in Mexico City right on the Zocola (third largest square in the world). Listening to the bells from the Catedral chime every hour was lovely. We quickly mastered the extensive Metro system and found ourselves at the Museo de Anthropology. A true master piece and a great introduction to Aztec, Mayan and other ancient civilisations throughout Mexico. Of coarse we were inspired to see the Pyramides at Teotihuacan and we headed out there via Metro and then bus. They are located 45 km out of Mexico City and this was a great way of seeing the suburban sprawl of this city of over 18 million people. These sort of population figures are always mind blowing to us Australians as our total population barely nudges 25 million.
 
The Pyramids were fascinating. The temple of the Sun is the second largest in existence behind the great Pyramid of Giza. The whole city structure is still evident and you can climb 3/4 of the way up the Pyramids. There is a flat fee of 57(about $4) pesos to enter most sites around the city. We caught the bus and 3 Metro changes later we find ourselves back in an overflowing Zocola just as the fireworks started. The Christmas celebrations are well under way and many Mexicans were in town to enjoy the festivities including fake snow.
 
 
 
There are quite a few authentic medicine men around the square performing smudging rituals and cleansing ceremonies. A great place to observe.
The next day we based ourselves in the centre of the city wandering through ancient ruins, delighting in Diego Rivera's beautiful murals at the Palace National, watching and enjoying Mexican families spending Sunday together.
 
A few Coronas and some Guacamole and we were embracing the culture and lifestyle. 
A 13 hour night bus lands us in San Cristobel de Cassis. What a delightful place full  of small restaurants and cafes. The cobblestone streets are narrow. They criss cross through the town and are surrounded by brightly coloured buildings with a narrow footpath between. A good place to chill for a couple of days. We walk lots exploring the town, climb the two hills, each of which have their own church atop. Being over 2000 metres, the nights are really cold, but the days are usually magnificent. There is a pretty rustic natural medicines museum, beautiful churches and a good market.
Next stop, Palenque. This is to be one of the highlights of our trip. We are to be reunited with  Sophie and Ryan making our family of 6 (+ Georgia) complete. What a buzz to be all together again, especially in a place in Mexico with such significant Mayan history. Tomorrow is the 21st December2012. After thousands of years, the Mayan  calendar finishes tomorrow. We all believe it marks the start of some new age, some new beginning. This can manifest in a collective change in thought patterns or an individual effort.We are puzzled also at the lack of festivities, ceremonies etc. it is all so low key here in Palenque. But as we wander through the ancient ruins looking up at the  stone pyramid structures it becomes evident that we are at a very special place at a very special time! And so we feel part of a new age, a positive one! There a many Rainbow people (Sophies lot) floating around which makes some entertaining watching. 
 
Almost a full day of bus travel lands us on the Mexican west coast. Our home for the next 2 weeks. More family time for Xmas and New Year. 
We find ourselves in a fantastic Mexican Hacienda complete with 20 m lap pool and a KITCHEN. I am so excited to prepare and eat our own food. The older kids head to theMercado to stock up on fruit and veg then Paul Ryan and I head to super che for grog and groceries. It is always fun going to supermarket shopping overseas, checking the brands, comparing prices nearly always cheaper than oz but not everything. 
 
 
Of coarse our first meal we prepare is Nachos and guacamole lol. The avocados are to die for here, Cuba Libres, Coronas and cards were the staple of the next few days. Interspersed with swimming, sunsets and swinging in hammocks. 3 weeks later...... We are still on the Mexican south coast at a place called Mazunte, a chilled beach town with lots of hippies, music, restaurants and coronas. Jugglers and half naked people share the beach with the fisherman as they drive their boats at full speed up the beach as far as they can go above high tide line. Prior to arriving here we spent about a week at Zicatela, home of the famous Mexican Pipeline, well not this time. The best swells are mid year, so Dec/Jan are not the best months to get waves. Had fun body bashing with the kids, though. Heaps of time in the water, it's so bloody hot. Gotta find some shade! The shoredump was so strong at one stage Leeanne was gracefully dumped and came up without her cossie pants. It was so hilarious we couldnt find them anywhere so she had to borrow Sophies to go ashore and send them back out where the 2nd pair nearly got washed away as well. It was great to watch the kids find their inner child playing "Beached Whale" we even joined in the fun.
 
We are definitely slowing down with our travelling, no hurry or time constraints have helped. Each day seems to roll into the next. Highlights of each day may include shopping for basic fresh food, preparing a simple meal, boiling water for a cuppa, laying on the beach, swimming, snorkelling, laying in a hammock (they are everywhere),  exploring the coastline, more swimming, and meeting at night for a game of cards, a few coronas, as the guitar gets passed around. A day hike to the river for fresh water swimming makes a nice change and watching Ryan skydive over the beautiful coastline. Life is simple, really. Even  built a fire on the beach the other night. Heaps of driftwood, really dry, burns quickly. Check for scorpions when collecting fire wood. You can see their trails in the sand! I killed one with my thong at our room. This thing was about the size of your hand, absolutely huge! 
 
We need some own time so we catch a minivan 3 hours straight up the mountain to San Jose del Pacifico. Famous for its mushrooms of all descriptions, this small town is sleepy, cold at night, with fabulous views through constant moving clouds. 
We leave Mazunte, the beach, the chilled vibe and make our way south into Guatemala. After a month of family reunion and fun times, we all say our goodbyes until next time we meet on this planet. Gratitude is sky high as we know each of us heading in the right direction. A direction governed by travelling and exploring this amazing world in which we live.

 

 

Tags: mazunte, mexico city, palenque, puerto escondido, san christobel

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.