Existing Member?

It Sure is a Big World For a Little Coffee Drop!

Vergina and Thessaloniki

GREECE | Thursday, 3 July 2008 | Views [652]

My visit to Vergina was not an easy one. Transfer after transfer, buses and a train, this is a site somewhat off the beaten path.  But I had to see it, as the historical significance is astounding.  This was Aegae in the ancient world, where a palace once stood,and where Alexander the Great's father, Philip II of Macedon, was assassinated and where his son was proclaimed king. It is also significant in that many Macedonian nobles were laid to rest here, one of them being, supposedly, Phillip II himself(This is disputed).  The area now hosts a great museum, with many finely-wrought weapons and articles of jewelry.  Unfortunately, photography inside the museum was forbidden, and I had a museum curator follow my every step to ensure I followed the rule.  Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. Everywhere I went, so did she.  I made a joke about it, and she laughed, and stopped following me. Then I left coffee stains everywhere. I'm full of jokes.

There is little to say of Thessaloniki.  It is all the sprawl of Athens, with none of the landmarks.  To Turkey!

About coffeedrop


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.