Existing Member?

A Morning in Cambodia

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 19 April 2012 | Views [159] | Scholarship Entry

Just after 6am, I wake to an orchestra of sounds--babies crying, kids playing on the streets, pots and pans clanging, dogs barking, cats meowing, early morning whispers of Khmer conversations--all of these sounds blend together to create a wonderful symphony, which I like to call "A Morning in Cambodia." Out on the streets, drivers wait in their tuk tuks for new customers, waiters stand outside their restaurants with welcoming smiles and greetings to attract diners. Various aromas emanate from every direction, as vendors line the streets of Phnom Penh.

What shall I indulge my hungry belly in today? Flavorful Khmer noodle soup? Hot, savory rice porridge with an array of toppings? Maybe some fresh palm juice or an entire coconut? Or chocolatey Khmer coffee?

As my stomach growls, I decide it is time to find some breakfast. Waiters and waitresses call out to me one after another from each restaurant I pass. I stop occasionally to peruse the menus. I skip over the western breakfast section and go straight to the Khmer dishes. I flip through the pages--beef cubes with lime pepper sauce, savory crepe with minced pork and beansprouts, coconut fish curry, smoked eggplant with minced pork, and so on. Even though the pictures in the menu tease me, I always seem to revert back to my favorite Khmer noodle soup. My mouth salivates and I decide, I can't walk any further. I obey as the young waiter asks me to come in and sit down. I order my favorite dish and wait anxiously.

The toasted garlic sits on top of a bed of scallions and cilantro, on a pile of thin noodles, in a steamy hot clear broth with lettuce, beef, and beansprouts. I squeeze fresh lime and then add some chili and fish sauce. With chopsticks and a spoon in hand, I pick up a bundle of noodles and scoop up some garlicky broth. Slurping a bit of both into my mouth, I close my eyes, chew, taste, and swallow. Mmmmmm.... Just as I remember. It tastes like home. I'm home.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About coconutzy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.