Existing Member?

Phil and Alli's Excellent Adventures

Week one (London, Brugge, Amsterdam)

BELGIUM | Friday, 8 December 2006 | Views [1366] | Comments [11]

Hello all!

Well, we're a week into the trip now. Flew into London (not literally).. 9 hours from Melbourne to Hong Kong, 2 hours stopover, then 13 hours to London. Cattle class is bullshit. We arrived at Tullamarine very early in the hope that we could get an aisle seat, but no luck. My 6'2" frame unfortunately had me with a pillow jammed between my knee and the seat in front - my poor knee was being smooshed into the people in front of me! Pah! Slept a few hours, but nothing really substantial.

Arrived in London, found our way on the Tube to The Oval and our hotel for the first night. Had a curry in London's West End with my sister Mel and her friend Judith; they have recently moved to London to find work and probably boyfriends. Here's a tip - try and hold your breath when waiting for a train on the Underground. Even after taking just one train, if you blow your nose - all your boogers will be black from the soot down there (seriously). Curry was excellent, we got an early night for the big start the next day.

Hopped onto the Eurostar at London Waterloo Station at 10:38am. Zipped over to Lille, then Brussels (Belgium). Changed trains to a domestic line, on to Brugge (or Bruges in French). Pronounced 'Broo-zhe'.

Brugge is the most amazing city I've ever seen. Just astounding. Tons of Gothic architecture (you know, buildings that cut themselves and listen to Marilyn Manson). Many buildings dating from the 1400's and 1500's. Our B&B was built in 1740.. predating the First Fleet by about 48 years. Ate steamed mussels (moules) on the first night - Alli had Flemish stew (with beef and kidneys). Loads of frites (fries), they're ubiquitous.

The beer and chocolate are spectacular. Really. There must have been a chocolatier in Brugge every 50m. Pastry shops every 100m. And cafes (pubs) every 100m too. It's awesome drinking Grolsch and Trappist beers as 'local' beers - they're the cheap ones!

Climbed all 366 steps of the Belfry in Brugge, took quite a few pictures, and jumped 10 feet into the air as the giant bell next to my head rang out the 11am chime.

We spent 3 nights in Brugge (2 full days), and then zipped off to Amsterdam (via Antwerp - where all the diamond traders .. trade, er, diamonds).

Amsterdam is fucking wet and fucking cold. There, we got that out of the way. Our jackets are working triple time - ski jacket, jumper, beanie, gloves, scarf. And it's not enough. Brugge was cool, Amsterdam is cold. Canberra cold, but windier and wetter. We have had a few hours of no rain, so it's not a bust. Having such a good time, that the weather doesn't seem to dampen our spirits at all.

We first visited Anne Frank Huis (Anne Frank House). Does your head right in, standing in the real-deal place that Anne and her family hid in for 3 (?) years before being marched outside by Nazis.. off to Auschwitz (Anne died a month before the English liberated the camp). Very packed, but well worth the visit. Lots of videos and pictures to see there, it takes about 30-45 minutes to walk through the lot. Really sad stuff.

After wandering around for a few hours, we took an evening canal cruise last night, which was 90 minutes with an English speaking guide. Top stuff, you learn and see more about the city in that short time than wandering around aimlessly. Saw some crazy stuff, including the red light district (pot and hookers), and 7 houses with dodgy foundations - so dodgy, that they're all leaning against each other, almost falling over. The council just keeps putting new concrete pillars into the foundation, as repairing the walls would destroy the houses.

OK.. couple of quick things that may explain the pics.

We've been to an Irish pub around the corner here in Amsterdam, 2 nights running. On the first night, we saw a pub cat that just walked around and did whatever it liked. We gave it a pat, walked back to our table, and it followed us. Hopped up onto the table, then sat on Alli's lap. For the next half hour, it kept taking turns sitting alternatively on my lap then Alli's lap, purring loud enough that you could hear it over the music. The 2nd night we were there, there were 2 cats! The one from the night before, and another one - curled up with each other, asleep, on the counter of the bar (no exaggeration). Got a great pic of them, with a Guiness tap behind. :)

Yes, stuff is expensive. It's best not to convert the prices of things, or it does your head in. It's not unbearably expensive, but the Aussie $ could be stronger (please!).

We're having a top time. One more night (tonight) in Amsterdam, then off to Frankfurt-am-Main in Germany, and a one-week Christmas Markets tour.

Will try and update this journal soon!

All the best,

Phil and Alli

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

:-) The tube is the tube... been travelling on it over 30 years, at least now at street level the air is cleaner... your little booger thing used to happen just from walking down Oxford Street. Amuses me to see folks in relatively clean air Asian cities wearing masks when London has needed them forever - but the English are not into that I guess.. ;-)

Glad you are having a good time, be careful of those pub cats though, last time I picked one up I got ringworm :-)

Enjoy the rest of it.

Cheers

  chrisg Dec 8, 2006 6:04 PM

2

Phil! you are a total bastard and I hate you! ;-) I don't hate Alli at all, heheh. Enjoy your trip and keep the commentary coming, very entertaining. Regards, Geoff.

  Geoff Calaby Dec 8, 2006 6:23 PM

3

Hurrah for travel! London is getting icy but we don't need ski jackets or anything yet. Did you get stoned in the 'Dam? Frites with mayonnaise ftw. Keep posting blog, it's good!

  Mel Dec 8, 2006 9:17 PM

4

it is called the AmsterDamage.... too much pot & hookers will do it to you! Glad to see you are having a good time... thinking of you guys while I am here in NZ.. Cheers

  Myra Dec 8, 2006 9:59 PM

5

I'm glad you have both shaken the travel curse, apart from the weather, hope you've both packed an extra brollie...LOL
Good luck and keep up with the photos, more of Al and less of Phil please LOL
Let me know how the ringworm infection goes :D

Hooroo ... W.

  Ryder Dec 8, 2006 11:29 PM

6

Woo !

Thanks for the update guys, It certainly sounds like your having a flying visit to alot of places, Don't feel like you'd like to spend more time in any ?

Off to see the piccies now, Keep up the good times ! :)

  Dexxie Dec 9, 2006 9:31 AM

7

Sounds like you are having a great time. Good luck and enjoy yourselves. Give my daughter a hug when you see her next. Enjoyed your travelog. Bye

  Eileen Dec 9, 2006 8:21 PM

8

Thanks for the tip, I won't go there in winter !!

  Vincent Dec 11, 2006 11:44 AM

9

"Ski jacket, jumper, beanie, gloves, scarf" - Canberra was 36 degrees and boiling hot here yesterday, while Melbourne hit 42 degrees. And as always, there is bushfire smoke everwhere from the 40 odd fires that are raging out of control in just about every state in Australia. So you are not missing anything new here... :)

Have fun you too and keep us posted...



  Pete Dec 12, 2006 9:41 AM

10

You are evil. It looks like you guys are having an awesome time.

I can't wait to hear all the stories when you get home.

  Mr Ray Dec 12, 2006 11:31 AM

11

Sounds like you're having an awesome time over there bro. Keep posting the blog it's mad interesting. And post some more gritty details. And kill those pub cats.

  John Dec 13, 2006 7:32 PM

About cmdwedge


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.