Existing Member?

No yesterdays on the road

Slow train to Bratislava.

SLOVAKIA | Friday, 30 May 2008 | Views [1292] | Comments [2]

We leave Prague slowly, winding our way past overgrown tracks and large, concrete, bunker-shaped buildings; sidings graffiti-covered and desolate. Even the myth of central Prague only extends a little way, it seems. If you head the right way, towards the bus station, Prague is just another city and as the train crawls out of the station you see its ugly face.

Gradually the city disappears and trees line the tracks. The sun begins to break through the high, thin cloud and catches the windows of houses through the trees, glinting amid the brick building behind the trees. The train doesn't speed up as we head out into the countryside, but as the landscape opens out, the slow pace ceases to matter. Undulating countryside stretches out on both sides, lush, green and inviting in the hot sun. There are little villages and towns, strange mixes of alpine cottages with steep roofs, white-washed walls and dark wooden balconies and blocks of 1960s flats, concrete and grey. The fields are at times flat and then gently rolling, leading the eye to low hills in the distance. Lines of poplars and thick, untamed hedgerows mark out the fields, mostly hay pastures with the occasional oil seed rape adding bright, sunflower-yellow splashes of colour.

We rattle by seemingly deserted train stations, nothing more than single platforms, overgrown and alone with their rusting rolling stock in lonely sidings. There are the signs of heavy industry too, factories and, once, the huge chimney stacks of a power station. Like the villages, these become more sporadic as we travel until eventually there are only little collections of houses nestling in the folds of the landscape.

Somewhere the border slips by unnoticed and we are in Slovakia, less than an hour from Bratislava. The final stretch towards the capital is surprisingly beautiful: a low pass through the southern-most Little Carpathians. The tracks hug the side of a steep, thickly wooded V-shaped valley. Tiny hay pastures snuggle between the tracks and the river meandering beside it.

I like Bratislava, it feels real somehow, more real than Prague. I'd expected Prague to be beautiful, cultural, a magnificent European city. And it was, I suppose. It was certainly pretty. And, after a day or two, I could begin to see the romance. But it wasn't the romance of the old town or the castle (which, by the way is a funny sort of castle with no castellations, battlements or proper towers at all; it looks like a Chateau, not a good honest-to-God, cold, stone construction). No, it was liminal, in the parks on the banks of the Vltava, or on the edge of the New Town. Places Czech couples gather, away from the tourists. I grew to appreciate Prague, but it took a day or two of wandering by myself, heading off in random directions to see what was round the corner.

Certainly Prague has history and romance, but it's all too packaged, too convenient and just too damn full of tourists. You simply can't escape the crowds. You can't discover Prague, it's all just there, signposted in English; turn right at the Cambio/Wechsel/Exchange sign and left after that tour group of Americans.

No, I much prefer Bratislava. It's small - about 450,000 inhabitants - and charming. Not beautiful, but turn the corner and you find an unexpectedly grand building, every bit as lovely as Prague, sandwhiched between the concrete stores, a higgledypiggedly collection of architectural styles. There's an historic square, marking the centre of town, but remains relatively tourist free, all the signs in Slovak, no concessions to the Stag parties that are beginning to discover the cheap beer. Almost no one I've met speaks English, a pleasant culture shock after the gratuitous fluency of Prague. The main street feels quintessentially Central European, a modern mix of communist buildings and turn of the century houses, pedestrianised, trams running between the high street shops and local bars. And it's hot - 33°C today (that's 91°F for the wrinklies) - almost too hot to do anything at midday.

Slovakia, according to the tourism posters 'Part of Europe worth seeing', is relatively small, about 5 million people in a country about one and a half times the area of Scotland (or, using the international agreed unit of country-area, 6 Wales). 500,000 of them live in Bratislava, a city similar in size to Edinburgh, with much of the country sparsely populated, mountainous and spectacularly beautiful (it also has a closely-related, larger and more dominant neighbour - are you beginning to get the parallels here?). It's relatively undiscovered and the stag parties haven't yet arrived in full strength. It's all about to change though. At the moment it's generally cheaper than the Czech Republic and the currency is slightly weaker, but in 2009 Slovakia is joining the Euro and currently it's GDP growth rate is among the highest in the OECD. Foreign investment is growing and the signs of Westernisation are already here, MacDonalds on the high street and Tescos down the road. See it while you can is what I've been told.

And so I thought I'd go in search of a reality that's changing, a record of something other than the average tourist trip. I walked across the Nový Most (New Bridge), with its distinctive flying saucer tower, towards the enormous rectangular blocks of flats visible from the castle on the other side of the Danube. It was my first experience ofpaneláks, classic communist residential buildings: functional, collectivist and ugly, built from pre-fabricated and pre-stressed concrete panels and poorly constructed. Huge, hulking monoliths dominating the skyline, they sprawl across the West bank of the Danube and form a massive residentialarea called Petržalka (which, I later found out, is the most densely populated region of cental Europe), with no real centre and certainly no charisma. Paths run between them through unkempt grass and across half-empty carparks. A few shops are open, but there's not much to do. Graffiti and broken glass abound and there's a rundown, soulless feel to this place, fading remnants once hailed as the ideal in collectivist community living for the proletariat.

It's sunny and people are strolling around, in couples and singly or with children, but I don't feel entirely comfortable. I am most definitely the only foreigner here -  no Prague old town centre this - and there are a few groups of teenagers drinking lazily, groups I hesitate to pass too closely (it's not until I'm back at the hostel - I couldn't find anywhere to couchsurf - that I discover in a guidebook that this district was known as the Bronx of Bratislava for its crime rate and drug problems). I take pictures, but shoot from the hip and quickly, until I grow tired of walking the paths between the buildings, all of which look the same and none of which offer much excitement.

Walking back through a large, shady park I stumble across an open air concert, held next to an adventure playground. Kids run riot amongst the stalls of balloons and candyfloss, the parents glad to sit down on the benches and watch them play. Teenagers strut backwards and forwards in giggling pairs and segregated groups, the same self-conscious behaviour the world over.  All the while Slovak bands play on the stage next to what turns out to be a very modern shopping centre. Good music that has the crowd singing along and my foot tapping, though I haven't the faintest idea what is going on or why. Still, it's good. And I've finally found my authentic experience - this is real Bratislava - not another tourist in sight, no foreign language in the air. It's pretty clear that visitors just don't bother crossing the bridge, and what a shame, because the best of Bratislava is here, rejoicing in the Saturday sunshine.

I have decided: Slovakia, I shall be back.

Comments

1

Thanks for all the feedback and comments everyone. Please keep them coming (especially if they're nice).

  climberchris Jun 1, 2008 7:07 AM

2

Rarely do I stumble upon blogs that go so extensively into philosophising their travels and life. Such was the unexpected (and pleasant) surprise I found in your writings via couchsurfing.com. But maybe the lack of these opportunities is due to my fascination with culinary and food blogs as of most recent.

I can agree with your sentiment in regards to traveling the unbeaten path and wonder how you would like parts of Siberia and southeast Asia. Some of my most memorable moments during my travels have been in the quiet revelation of unexpected beauty and authenticity in these remote places...

Safe travels and marvels.

  Hungry Grace Jun 10, 2008 6:00 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Slovakia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.