Existing Member?

diversaties in culture

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - Igbo culture

NIGERIA | Thursday, 7 March 2013 | Views [238] | Scholarship Entry

IGBO CULTURE
Culture as concept can be defined as; the way people live their life. Igbo as a tribe in Nigeria, happens to be, the most wonderful place I have ever visited from cradle. This is because; their culture is somehow boredom and as well fascinating. I came from a family of three and happen to be the last child. My parent named me Nelly and we live in USA. In May 1964, at the age of twenty five, I went to visit my intimate friend Jackson in Nigeria, who came from Igbo tribe. The year I went was the year he fixed his marriage, it was five years that I wanted to stay anyway, but I changed my earlier decision when I met my first shock! At the wedding ceremony, and this is because, I had the premonition that what happened might be just the beginning. As Jackson introduced me to her friends, parents and siblings, I was very happy, shock his father’s hand, and gave him a cute kiss and told him,” I love you!” when I turned to great her mother as well, her countenance changed into something likened to a monster. In a jiffy, she left hurriedly. I became depressed anyway but was at ease within a short period of time. Then, I asked my friend, “why is your mum behaving in such a mysterious manner?” he told me, “listen! This is not America where you exhibit your hospitality in such manner”. Here in Igbo land, when you tell someone “I love you and buttress it with a kiss; it sends a colossal wrong signal and simply means that, you want or you are already having a strong relationship with the person!” she told her; my mum was jealous because she thought that you were bent on stealing her husband from him. And that is why she left. After Jackson’s speech, I learnt my first lesson anyway!
After three years of my stay in Igbo land, I had gathered enough experience. Children show great courtesy to the elderly ones. Like greetings, not talking back to their parents no matter what, their descent mode of dressing and a child still living with his parents even at the age of thirty five, unlike in America. But, the mode of child nurturing is amazing. One day, Chima the first son who is still three years old was flogged by Jackson her mother. I asked why he must be flogged instead of talking sense in him to redirect his bad footsteps. She said “dear, here in Igbo land, you must flog to correct a child, if not, you will get noting as a child except bad eggs.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About climax


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nigeria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.