Existing Member?

A Moving Life

A moving life

PAKISTAN | Wednesday, 27 September 2017 | Views [427]

 

                          [ Script for Voice over]

PROMO VOICE OVER…

Poverty…….. become cultural part of every region.

These gypsies came from different areas but most of them unknown by their cultural and religion identity .For them whole world is their homeland and they call theirselves “ World Citizens”

DOCUMENTARY VOICE OVER

Pakistan is among few countries who are part of third world.Its population is around 170 million. Apart from these huge number of population, there are number of minority people who are still don’t know about there identity ,religion and homeland.

These people are Gypsies….

These gypsies have an orthodox, primitive and appears to an outsider, a deprived lifestyle. With their makeshift dwellings, scanty possessions and rustic dialect, they appear to have descended from the stone age. Their lifestyle presents a paradoxical contrast when juxtaposed with metropolitan life.

These are the Indian tribes I found that most closely resemble the Gypsies I know in Lahore:

 

LOHAR - Itinerant blacksmiths who used to be great warriors making their own weapons. Legend has it they originated in Chittorgarh but were defeated in the siege of that city in 1308. They then became nomadic. They are most famous for their beautiful wagons, the only Gypsy tribe today in India who still have their wagons. Many of the other tribes/castes listed below followed the Lohars on foot or with just a donkey or mule. In 1322 the first Gypsies were documented in Eastern Europe.

 

DOM – one of the few original Dravidian tribes of India, these people became nomadic after the invasion of the Aryans around 1,500 B.C. Although the Dom once had forts and were famous for their cavalry, they were designated as the lowest caste under the Aryans and became wandering dancers and musicians. Most of the following tribes are sub-caste of the Dom.

 

BAWARI - known as a nomadic, predatory tribe, the Bawari still to this day make signs on houses, gates, or alongside the road that can only be read by their own tribe informing them of conditions in the area. Many of these same signs were used by the European Gypsies up to the 1950s.

 

BADU - a small tribe in Kashmir who tamed and led bears. In the last century their dress was the most similar to the European Gypsies.

 

MEOS - famed cattle rustlers whose activities and customs closely resembled the Indian Gypsies who settled in England.

 

BERIA - a sub-caste of the Dom, this is the tribe whose women read palms and tell fortunes.

 

GOPAL - nomadic tent dwellers who earn their living as wrestlers in local fairs. Many European Romany were famous as wrestlers and their descendants today can always be found in Olympic wrestling teams.

 

BANSBERIA - famous in India as pole vaulters over animals in village fairs. The first bullfighters on foot in Spain were reputed to be Gypsies who also pole vaulted over charging bulls in the bullring.

 

KANJAR - one of the more despicable tribes of India because they prostitute their women. Their name has become synonymous for "pimp".

 

SANSI - closely related to the Kanjar, the Sansi were one of the most famous criminal tribes of India during the colonization by the British.

 

GANDHILA - one of the lowest castes of India, they are well known as itinerant sharpeners of scissors and knives, a profession followed by many European Gypsies.

 

BILOCH - camp followers of the Lohar who transported their supplies. They are reputed to have a Persian origin.

 

KIKAN - famous horse breeders whose origins can be traced back to Iran, this tribe arrived with the invading Islamic armies in the 11th century. Known for their predatory ways, they were expelled from the Lahore area in the 12th century and then joined other nomadic, criminal tribes before leaving India almost en mass with Lohars in the 14th century. The Kikans brought to India the story of Abraham. According to them, Sarah, Abraham's wife, was a Kikan. In many European countries, Gypsies are called Tsikans.

 

For them this place is not their homeland ,they are only living here for few days for food ,employment and etc. and when these things vanished away… they move to any other places.

Against the backdrop of a tattered and shabby hovel which they call their home, naked children play in the dirt, a woman busily digs something out of the ground and a man sits idly enjoying the sunshine.

(Gypsies Interview)

However this scene is not confined only to Lahore City. Gypsies can be found almost everywhere in Pakistan.

Babar ali is living beside the main populated area of Lahore city near garden town Lahore.Like other children he have eyes which always dream for better future.He want to get educated and become qari shab .he have family who live with him.They come from rawal pindi side from a month ago.

Where we live….. our place…..our home

Barkat Market , the heart of lahore, seems a combination of the rich and the poor as on one hand there are high-rise buildings and palaces with the wealthiest inmates and, on the other, gypsies settled along the roadsides of the city, are struggling for their survival.

Gypsies from different parts of the country settle on capital’s roadsides, complain they have been asking for government’s support since long, Residents demand gypsies be relocated .

(Gypsy Interview)

 Looking around at his family and his dwelling, does not see himself as deprived and neglected. Instead, he sees a life full of new places to go and few obligations that hold him back.
The gypsies are living; i.e. makeshift tents. They have no arrangements which would shelter them from harsh weather. They have to resort to beggary as a means of survival.

There are 36,880 gypsy families and around 36,950 huts in Lahore city but these people have no rights and have not been recognised as citizens of Pakistan. They are not allowed to apply for identity cards.

(LDA AUTHORITY Interview)

In Pakistan there are almost 15 sub castes of gypsies namely Qalandar, Urdh, Mirasi, Jogi, Kingar, Changar, Musalli, Nutt, Bazigar, Kenghar, Lali Marasi, Baloch, Gurajmar, Gugray etc. Practically speaking, every one have their own language, culture, moral values and rituals.

 

What they know about their religion..

( Rani Interview)

Interestingly, they have different ways and styles of consigning a hut. Gypsies used to claim they were Shia Muslims but when practically observed they seem to follow no particular religion. They are unaware of the five essentials of Islam.

(  from different religion scholars interview)

 

What they earn from their occupation…..

( clip of jogi)

Neem hakims are Jogies (one of the sub caste of gypsies) stayed at one place for not more than 4 years. 

Urdhs they used to stay at one place for more than 7years and earn money by taking part in construction work. A good number of them do not work as the men usually prefer to stay inside their huts and their spouses either work as labourers or collect saleable items from garbage dumps or sell combs, ‘parandas’ and other cheap goods. 

(Gypsy Interview)

Fast urbanisation has affected the lives of gypsy people as well who have become more like our city people. For example there is a sub caste of gypsies called ‘Changar’ who are more modern than the other sub castes. Though they live in tents in big cities they earn money through housekeeping.

Several gypsies settled along Pattarian Bridge have adopted the business of jugglery. They catch snakes from the forests and sell them at high rates.

(Gypsy Interview)

As society became more industrialised, the majority of the population moved out of rural areas and settled in cities.Some decades ago these gypsies migrated from various cities of the country to the Lahore in a bid to earn money.

(Gypsies working  clips)

Most of the gypsies belong to Sargodha, Multan, Rawal pindi and Gujranwala. They are earning their livelihood through jugglery, car washing, scrap picking and sale of balloons.

(Secretery labor or labor minister   interview)

GODH would manage an exhibition of hand-made products of the gypsy women, for the sake of finding the business opportunities and for the promotion of small enterprises for the welfare of gypsy community.

( authority who organize exhibition interview)

What is their Mother language….

In Pakistan gypsies came from southern part of the country and later migrated to different parts of Punjab province – the reason why they have a Seraiki accent.

What will be their future……

These nomads travel the countryside carrying their belongings and pitching tents wherever they stop. The transient lifestyle is not a pastime or a result of certain circumstances. It is a deliberately chosen way of life. The gypsies, however, continued their nomadic existence, which challenged those who could not understand a life without permanence, possessions and professional goals.

Their children’s feet rarely cross the doorstep of a school.

( child Interview)

What Common Citizen think about them……

People usually associate them with either music and dance or theft and laziness. As a result, they face prejudice and many insults.

( Common Citizen Interview)

Their nomadic lifestyle arouses public suspicions because it is seen as a way to run from thefts and crimes. They are often seen as predatory, parasitic, and criminal. People distrust and avoid gypsies whenever wherever possible.

( Police Authority interview)

Women and children living in gypsy cottages swarm traffic signals in evening for beggary, that their male members often accompanied them, harassing commuters, particularly women.

Police often take action against them over beggary, but to no avail. Some of the residents also complained that several gypsies were involved in theft.

( Gypy interview)

“We are not involved in any theft and the members of gypsy families beg to meet their needs,” said Ishaq, a gypsy, adding that beggary was better than theft.

However, the gypsies denied all the allegations against them, saying poverty compelled them to beg.

 

Our identity…..Whom we are…..

( gypsy Interview clips )

Association Network for Community Empowerment (ANCE) is working for the betterment of the gypsies in Lahore. Their main focus is on getting identity cards of the gypsy families. They call mobile van of NADRA every month in their office for this purpose. ANCE would hold an exhibition of hand-made products of the gypsy women for promotion of small enterprises for the welfare of gypsy community.

Pets take care…….

( Clips with pets)

NGO Brooke, a charity helping working horses, donkeys and mules in the world’s poorest communities takes care of the animals which are a major source of livelihood for the gypsy families across the city.

( BROOKE HOSPITAL DOCTOR INTERVIEW )

Gypsy Mela

Last year, on 3rd April, 2009, Grass-root Organization for Human Developmemt (GODH) organized a gypsy mella to acknowledge the role of gypsy community in preservation of our dying culture and folklores. It’s true that that majority of the gypsies are quite competent in performing art and in making traditional toys and in needlework but none of the state institution is ready to cope with the issue of their social alienation. However, entirety of the civil society groups acknowledges the richness of their culture and skills. Undoubtedly, the gypsies of our area are pretty much capable of performing arts, such as singing, dancing, theater performance and puppet shows. The gypsy men and women, both are used to perform in the streets for the entertainment of the general masses but we never thought about the promotion of gypsy culture and trade. This year too, in the month of October, a weeklong gypsy mella is going to take place at national level. The said mella is being organized in the premises of Al-Hamra Cultural Complex, Lahore, where the gypsies from all over Pakistan would perform dances, stage play and puppet shows, not just for the entertainment of the participants but for the revelation of their socio-political and economic issues.

( mela Clips – live event record on 4 april)

GODH efforts

Erosion of biological diversity is among one of the greatest environmental challenges of the millennium. While many traditional crop varieties are now getting extinct a number of uncultivated plants that have very useful medicinal and food value are also currently at risk. These need to be cultivated on a commercial basis and for their conservation. Godh has observed that gypsy communities have a very rich knowledge of use of uncultivated food and medicinal plants which they have never shared with the settled community members because of their isolated living.

( interview from a authority from GODH)

As a result, Godh states that it wants to document their knowledge of herbal medicine and the use of other food plants. This will include historical context and other issues. The overall objective would be to conserve these plants and crops and provide livelihood opportunities to gypsies. This information was given by Naseem Ahmed, member of the board. Gulshan Tahira also highlighted the role of gypsies in helping conserve the crops and this project initiated by UNDP. Punjab Assembly Deputy Speaker Rana Mashood visited various stalls at the location. He applauded the project and Godh’s efforts concerning uplifting of gypsies by helping them sell their hand-made goods, while also at the same time helping in conservation of the environment.

( clips )
He also assured of his help if needed in this project which would save several lives and improve economic conditions of many. Toshihiro Tanaka from UNDP addressed the guests speaking about the organisation and UNDP’s role in the project. Godh Executive Director Mazhar Ahmed Ghazi concluded the event by thanking all participants and those who came for the event and supported Godh in these difficult times.

( Interview from UN authority)
Civil society and gypsies both attended the function. During the programme, it was also discussed that gypsies’ lives also needed to be improved and they should be given citizenship status so that they could also receive access to security and benefits of society. Godh, they stated, was struggling for the socio-political welfare of the gypsy community since 10 years. They were also executing a health programme for gypsy women and children and presently running nine schools namely, Naya Din, in nine different hamlets of the gypsy community where about 589 children were enrolled.

( Clips)
The gypsy population is not less than around half a million within the 10 million population of Lahore only. This means that every 19th person in the city is a nomad and homeless. Around 0.4 million people of the target population live in makeshift tents within and around the city. These gypsies are politically and socially marginalised and alienated people. They are deprived of the most basic or human and citizenship rights, despite the constitution and the UN Declaration of Human Rights. Godh is making efforts to link the line departments with community elders and helping them receive civic amenities

Government or social organisations sometimes attempt to “help” these gypsies to settle down, get educate and conform to society’s norms, but ultimately fail because the gypsies themselves choose to continue the nomadic and primitive traditions that have been passed down by their ancestors.

The gypsies, however, continued their nomadic existence, which challenged those who could not understand a life without permanence, possessions and professional goals.

 “I have done what I wanted to do and there is nothing more to worry about,” said Wali to explaining why he did not work. His words have probably been echoed by generations of his ancestors.

Looking around at his family and his dwelling, Wali does not see himself as deprived and neglected. Instead, he sees a life full of new places to go and few obligations that hold him back.

 

 

About clickitgenious


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.