Existing Member?

According to Cleo

Bled, Slovenia

SLOVENIA | Monday, 23 May 2011 | Views [542]

         In the English language, the word 'Bled' usually has an unpleasantly negative connotation to it. In French, 'Bled' refers to a "village, dump, [or] godforsaken place". In the country of Slovenia, an enchantingly provincial town lies beside a sparkling cerulean lake where countless sunbathers relax on the grass hoping to attain a new level of bronze. This little town happens to be called Bled.After several hours of leisurely riding rented bikes ( a must do!) along the magnificent Lake Bled, it is only natural to want a short respite from the heat of the day, and what better way than to treat yourself to a Bled Cream Cake? Imagine a puffy white pastry with a gelatinous creamy filling on the bottom, a substance similar to whipped cream in the middle and a deliciously brittle coating on top. Pushing the metal prongs of your fork into this Slovenian delicacy causes the velvety cream to glide out from underneath, similar to a mousse. To put it simply, the Bled Cream Cake is heaven in disguise as a dessert.

       Just a short drive away from Bled lies an otherworldly natural attraction, the Vintgar Gorge. Even pasting an entire slideshow including the copious amount of photographs I took hiking in the aforementioned location would never adequately represent just how magical this gorge is. So magical, in fact, that you half-expect a leprechaun to emerge from the wilderness. The water that trickles between the two massive stony slopes is the clearest, bluest blue I have ever witnessed. As if it couldn't get any better, the Vintgar Gorge is the home of Slovenia's highest waterfall.  According to my travel journal:

        "We went to the most beautiful place on this planet yesterday: the Vintgar Gorge. It was an epic hike along a trail on the side of cliff and by the end I felt like I had run a marathon, but it was so worth it. I would say it was breathtakingly beautiful..because I was out of breath from hiking and it was just that beautiful."                                                                                               
**Check out this nineteen year old's travel blog at www.wanderlusted-cleo.blogspot.com**

Tags: slovenia, water, wilderness

About cleolouise


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Slovenia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.