Existing Member?

Footsteps

The Very Last Leg!

INDIA | Monday, 5 February 2007 | Views [1010]

Last night we took out last train in India, to our last stop before heading home to Australia!

We left beautiful, sunny Palolem in South Goa to head to Mumbai for 12 days. The train ride was interesting as it always is! We were sharing our compartment at the beginning with a young Indian family who had a 2 and half year child who really provided us with excellent entertainment for quite a while! He kept on smiling cheekily at us and running up to us laughing and singing nursery rhymes... A western family with a son of the same age then came to sit with us a little later - The two little boys refused to share their toys with eachother which resulted in a loud barney! The parents were so embarassed but we reminded them that all children that age have their moments and we ended up having a good laugh about it!

When it was time to sleep, we realized that about 6 of the 8 people sharing our compartment were terrible snorers which made for a pretty restless night. By the time I finally got to sleep, we arrived in Mumbai!

Hmmmmm... Back to trying to find a decent taxi driver! Not an easy task let me tell you! The first one who we approached aksed for at least double the price, telling us that we had to pay extra for all our luggage! I told him that I had never ever heard that rule anywhere else in the whole world! on to the next one! We finally found one who was happy to take us for a resonable price however he obviously didnt understand where we wanted to go because we drove all around and then he dropped us off on the street as he couldnt find our hostel. So we set off looking for it with all of bags. Let me remind you all that it was 7am at this stage and we had had no sleep!

So we asked around and nobody seemed to be able to speak english but sent us off in various direction, all wrong of course! After an hour of being sent all over the suburb, we decided to take seat at a hospital, frustrated but amused! One of the staff members saw us there and asked where we wanted to go - he then sent 3 male escorts to take us there and alas! We finally made it, exhausted but still laughing as always :)

So we are now just taking it easy for the rest of today and I suppose that we will start exploring tomorrow!

On the upside of my trip almost being over - I only have to pack once more!!! Yipeee!!!

x

c

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.