Existing Member?

New Zealand '08

The Glaciers to Dunedin

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 20 May 2008 | Views [539] | Comments [4]

Hey guys,

Just another quick update!

Finished our journey down the West Coast with a stop off at the Fox and Franz Joseph glaciers. They were really impressive. We walked to the terminal of each and got some really good photos. There were also lots of guided tours you could take that allowed you to actually hike on the glaciers themselves. We were tempted by a helihike - you basically take a helicopter flight right up to the top of the glaciers where all the untouched snow is, then you are dropped off and do a two hours hike through the ice caves and pinnacles! It sounded like so much fun, but was quite expensive so we thought it might be best to leave it until later in the trip when we are more aware of how the funds are lasting! It's definitely a must-do though I'd say.

From the glaciers, travelled South again and stopped for a couple of days in Queenstown, where we were reunited with Pip! Was nice to see him again, and a good excuse to go out and drink some beer! Didn't really explore Queenstown too much, as we plan to go back there a little later in the year when the ski season is in full swing! May be somewhere to take Sarah, Katie and Steve when they come out here.

From Queenstown, travelled across to Dunedin, and have been here for three weeks now, looking for work. After a lot of tramping round with CV's (I think I must have covered every cafe in the whole city!), I've finally got a job working in the museum cafe. Had my first day yesterday and all went well. Everyone was really friendly and I think I'm going to enjoy working there. Tom is getting lots of work through a couple of temping agencies he's signed up with. It's not always the most flattering of jobs (one night he had to work in a poultry factory!!) but it's only for a couple of months and its a good way of topping up the funds.

As we are planning to stay in Dunedin for the nest couple of months, we have been trying to find a little flat to rent, as it would give us a bit more space and would probably work out cheaper than the hostels. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much available to rent for such a short time period, so for the time-being we are staying in a really nice hostel called 'Hogwartz'. The owners are really friendly, and the hostel itself is very cosy. There is a log fire, and two little dogs that are always scurrying around scaveging for food!!

So thats pretty much me up-to-date I'd say! Hope all is well at home, and thanks for all the comments you've been sending! It's really nice to hear from you all!

Hope you all have a fantastic time at RHB! I am gutted to be missing out, especially as I'll no doubt be at work!!! Hope the weather holds for you, and have a beer (or 10) for me!!

Lots of love to you all,

Clarexxxx

Comments

1

hi clare nice to hear your update, it still sounding fun even though you are working!! bad news for r.h.b we are a kazoo down elaines had hers knicked so sand will have to do solo!! i will try to have a couple of pints for you sand will have to have the other 8!!(or more) love you and miss you pol and dick.xxx

  pol & dick May 22, 2008 6:48 AM

2

Hi, Thanks for post card, Glad to hear your working to make a bit of spending money,Sing to the customers they might leave you loads of tips,The weather is nice here now hope it lasts for the bay,
take care all of you,
Angela & Duke
xxxx

  Angela Redford May 23, 2008 4:53 PM

3

Hi clare and tom
Sounds like your having a ball out there , what an adventure it must be. mandy and olivia say hi and don't know if you know ,but we will have another little mouth to feed in june ( a boy i hope) can't cope with any more girls in the house.
hope your all well and impressing those kiwi's with some proper music , say to tom from us all and you lot take care. will be in touch later.
missing you all loads.
loads of love.
bri.mand olivia and the bump.

  brian metcalfe May 26, 2008 1:36 AM

4

Hi Claire, hope you are well and coping with Sarah's arrival. We've just come back from Hadraw and had a good time but could have done with you there.
Look forward to sseing you soon x

  Fred Jul 30, 2008 9:44 PM

About claremccallum


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.