Existing Member?

New Zealand '08

Raglan - Auckland - Waipu

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 28 January 2008 | Views [671] | Comments [1]

From Rotorua, we travelled North to a small town right on the East Coast called Raglan. The town is notorious for it's many surfing beaches, and is overlooked by Mount Karioi, which we managed to climb. The Mountain is 800m high, so similar to those back home, although the going was very steep in places...at certain points you had to pull yourself up over the rocks with a chain! As we had a really clear day, the views from the top were absolutely breathtaking, you could see for miles along the coast. You would have loved it Dad!

Our second day in Raglan was spent body boarding at a nearby beach. The surf was fantasic, and catching a wave was sooo much fun! We must have spent a good few hours in the water! Also, me and Anna had our first taste of New Zealand fish and chips...rather than the usual cod, we had gurner (I think!), which was delicious, although Whitby still wins on the portion sizes!

From Raglan, we went back to Auckland and spent an evening at the folk festival as the boys were booked to play. The festival was similar to Sidmouth, but rather than being spread around a town, everything was confined to a showground on the outskirts of the city. The major letdown was that there didn't appear to be a bar anywhere, so we had to pay a visit to the local off license to pick up supplies! The boys played in the evening on the main stage and sounded great. Went down really well with audience.

Now, we have left Auckland, and continuing on our journey North, have reached a small town called Waipu, where we are pitched on a DOC (Department of Conservation) Campsite right next to a beautiful white sandy beach. This morning, we visited Waipu caves, which were fantastic. You basically take a torch and a good pair of boots and explore the cave yourself...there are no guides like you would expect back home. Inside, we all turned off our torches and the whole cavity was completely covered with glow worms. It was a phenomenal sight...there must have been millions of them. All in all, a spectacular trip out, and didn't cost a single penny!

Right, best head off now as Pip is waiting for the computer...as always will keep you posted on things to come!

Clarexxx

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

hi clare sounds like you are all having a brill time!! norm would have loved the climb and the view from the top of mount karioi!! (no hotels yet ??) its also coming round to toms change over for his 4 weekly rota!!bet you will all be glad about that! we had gud nite out in hutton last weekend but missed you all!!everyone o.k over here nana,isobel & daisy & all send love take care love pol and dick. xxxxx

  p.mccallum Jan 29, 2008 9:39 AM

About claremccallum


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.