Existing Member?

Claire's travels A 6 month journey of discovery? A 6 month odyssey to find myself? Or a 6 month holiday?

Day 173 - Thank you India

INDIA | Sunday, 26 April 2009 | Views [474] | Comments [1]

So, just as I did when I left SE Asia, some thoughts on my journey through the most sensual, crazy, contrasting and unique country in the world. We coined an acronym - T.I.I - This is India. As many a shop keeper would tell us - ‘In India, Madame, anything is possible’ (accompanied, naturally, by the Indian head wobble)

India is a constant assault on the senses - the heat, dirt & dust on your skin, the vivid colours of saris, of puja markings and fire, the green of Kerala, the orange of baba robes and the white of Himalaya snows.

The craziness of the cities, the peace of the mountains and the constant beeping of horns. The sound of the morning gongs from the temples and the calls of ’chai, chai, Nescoffee’ on the trains.

The chanting of Aarti, the chanting of Buddhist monks in Dharamsala and the chanting of yoga students following Rory in the sun salutations.

The smell of cow shit & human urine, of delicious smelling street food.

The stillness of yoga practice. The cool of the Ganges at Rishikesh. Religion being so much a part of everyday life.

The downsides - the talking to your chest, the ‘accidental’ brush ups against you. Indian foot rot. CONSTANTLY dirty feet. In fact, constantly dirty everything. The begging. The poverty. The pollution. Constantly sweating. Sleeping under a wet sarong, just to keep cool.

Feeling like a filmstar: ‘1 snap please madam’, the kindness of strangers, the scamming by officials. The forgiveness of colonialism and its sins.

The fruit: Mangoes, watermelons, papaya, pineapple and coconuts. A cow taking a bite out of a papaya from a fruit stand.

Learning to meditate. Living in an Ashram. Bathing in the Ganges. Shakti & Shiva. Exploring what spirituality means to me. Being told my fortune and losing my cynicism for once.

The love of bureaucracy and the flagrant disregard for rules. Walking at a frustratingly slow pace, but driving as those time is of the essence.

Thank you India. I had a plan and discarded it. I learnt that for me, India was an experience to be taken slowly. To while away the time in Rishikesh and Kerala. To spend time with friends. To meet interesting people and to learn new things. I didn’t tick much off my list. But I think I gained more.

Comments

1

Why'd you have to go and write that? It just makes me want a book a flight and go back, and see the parts I missed (and the parts YOU did -- Kerala, the far north). Wanna come?

  Roxy Apr 26, 2009 10:07 AM

About claire_jefferies


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.