Existing Member?

Claire's travels A 6 month journey of discovery? A 6 month odyssey to find myself? Or a 6 month holiday?

Day 68-70 -- Probably the funniest name in the world

VIETNAM | Saturday, 31 January 2009 | Views [401]

OK, so we are all mature, responsible adults.

But the Vietnamese language is FUNNY: the currency is the Dong, the ferry company is the Super Dong express and it has an island that has the word Poo AND Cock.

Ok, ok, it’s actually spelt Phu Quoc, but it’s still funny.

Phu Quoc is a stunning island about 50km off the coast of Vietnam. Its nationality has been contested for many years: Vietnam nabbed it from the Cambodians during the 70s and who can blame them - it’s another of those white sand/blue sea places they do so well over here. Phu Quoc is a little more upmarket than Sihanoukville, and consequently quite a bit more expensive. As a result, we ended up in the first of our ‘4 people in one bedroom’ scenarios which was actually good fun - felt a bit like being on school camp.

The problem with our beach stints (you see, I do have PROBLEMS here - it’s not all having a fantastic time without a care in the world) is that it makes you super lazy, and you don’t have an awful lot to write about in your blog (see, I told you my life was tough). Basically we spent more time on a beach, and I got beautifully burnt, but Ollie & I did one of our little expeditions on a snorkelling trip, and on this trip we did visit what is possibly a candidate for The Best Beach in the World. It was a tiny place on the east coast of the island - super white sand, crystal turquoise waters, palm trees bent over the sands - it was a total Bounty advert (the chocolate rather than the kitchen towel, natch)

But having bankrupted ourselves with barbeque dinners on the beach, and entertained ourselves by taking hundreds of stupid photos, we had to leave, ready to head to Saigon (baby!)

http://picasaweb.google.com/Clairestravels/VietnamPhuQuoc#

About claire_jefferies


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.