Existing Member?

Claire's Adventure

Depends on the river

COSTA RICA | Monday, 25 January 2010 | Views [728] | Comments [6]

¨Depends on the river.´´ We hear that a lot. It means that we may not be able to leave our camp because the river is too high (remember the part where we have to wade through to get to the other side?) It hasn´t been too bad the few times I've done it, today was the largest it´s been that I've seen it. Anyway, this has become kind of a mantra for our group (right now it´s only girls. Predominately German, then we have some Canadians, an Australian and another American). Roy and Arnold run the camp. They´re interesting. I called Roy a curmudgeon last night and I think that pretty much sums him up. Arnold is a tiny little thing with a crazy tooth that sticks out sideways. He doesn´t speak much English but he was very encouraging when he was teaching me how to surf. That´s not going too well, btw. I´ve only stood up maybe 3 times and I´m pretty sure I´m a disappointment to Roy. The looks he gives me....

Anyway, the bus trip went fine. Slept most of the way. We first went to Nicoya which was very pretty and then we went on the Samara. It´s sooo hot here, but it´s weird cause it doesn´t feel as hot as it shold. If that makes sense. It gets into the 90´s by 9 in the morning. We start working around 8 and are usually done by 11 or 12 with a break inbetween. Oh man, the best thing about this place: pineapple. Now, I´ve never been a lover of pineapple, but oh my freaking god is this stuff good. It´s by far the biggest treat we get. For either lunch and dinner, odds are we´re going to have rice and red beans, which isn´t bad, but gets old pretty fast.

Turtles! We had a nest hatch this week. I helped release four of them. Out of the whole nest there was probably around 15 that died, and maybe 25 that made it to the water. It was sad seeing those little buggers run (and I mean run) to the ocean. They´re on their own now, and I wish them the best. I haven´t seen an adult yet, and there´s no garuntee, so I´m really glad I got to see some babies. I got to take pictures cause it was daytime (can´t use flash at night), but I forgot my camera cord today, so no pictures now.

Let´s see... work consists of moving and repairing sandbags which are seriouslly heavy. It´s hard and boring, but we´re doing it for the turtles.

Saw a monkey today! And something called a pizote, I just found out. It´s like a giant possum. I´m sure I´ve left a million things out, but of course right now it all escapes me. I go swimming everyday which is so nice. The beach we´re on is really shallow all the way out so you can just stand there for a bit and have the waves crash on you. I'm litterally being eaten alive by bugs, it's disgusting. Bites everywhere, plus I have heat rash so I'm itching all over. I reaply sunscreen and bug spray every chance I get, alas, the sweat (which just pours off you) washes it all away. It made me feel better today, though, to see the locals sweating as much as I am. Let's me know I´m not a freak.

I think that´s all for today. I'll try to remember more interesting stuff next time... which will probably be in a week. Hope all is going well for you and I´ll talk to you soon.

Claire

 

Comments

1

Wow Claire! I've seen those little turtles run to the ocean on tv it was pretty sad! I was like
go little man go!!!! Ps I love rice and beans, I could imagine them getting old pretty fast though. Surfing? I'm seriously impressed! Hope your having fun and Alaska misses you! Remember that your not a freak (the locals are pouring sweat too) and try not to pass out, and I hope te river goes down! Love ya toots!

  Josie heyano Jan 25, 2010 5:51 AM

2

Hey Claire - I'm so proud of you and what you're doing. Wish I knew more about the sandbag stuff, and how it helps the turtles. Hope someone gets a picture of you surfing. Have you met people you like and like to work with? Will any of them be at any of the other places you're going? Bet you're tan. Bummer about the bug bites and the rash. Either can drive you crazy by themselves. Keep up the fabulous writing and work. Love you. Mom

  Mom Jan 25, 2010 11:08 PM

3

Claire, your Mom sent the link to your blog. It's so much fun to read. I am travelling with you vicariously. [Also teaching IRS. 20 students including 3 EH and one grad student, great range.] I'm proud of you, excited for you. The bug bites are horrible; does DEET work? Can you get hold of any? Hugs, Ellen

  Ellen Cole Jan 26, 2010 1:57 AM

4

Hey Claire - I'm so proud of you and what you're doing. Wish I knew more about the sandbag stuff, and how it helps the turtles. Hope someone gets a picture of you surfing. Have you met people you like and like to work with? Will any of them be at any of the other places you're going? Bet you're tan. Bummer about the bug bites and the rash. Either can drive you crazy by themselves. Keep up the fabulous writing and work. Love you. Mom

  Mom Jan 26, 2010 3:14 AM

5

Claire,

Don't give up on the surfing, you will get it!
Just remember to bend at the knees more and just a little at the hips, all the while keeping your head up!
When the head gos down, the body gos down!

Cheers and good luck

Dad

  Steve Agni Jan 27, 2010 5:26 AM

6

Monkeys! Turtles! Super fun!!

Good luck surfing!

Love,

Su Hermana

  Su Hermana Jan 29, 2010 11:50 AM

About claire_agni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.