Existing Member?

Last call to lands I've never been to...

Chiang Mai = Asian California!!

THAILAND | Friday, 27 February 2009 | Views [654] | Comments [5]

Sawat-dee ka from Chiang Mai! This city is amazing and by far one of my favorite places i've been to (besides Luang Probang) It is a perfect combination of nature and city, scattered with vegetarian restaraunts (they even serve wheat grass!), yoga and reiki classes, at least 2 giant bookstores on every street, temples galore, a chilled out night life with rooftop bars (passion fruit mojito is my new fav drink), yummie street vendors and don't forget the awesome night markets and hilltribe handicrafts!  When we first arrived in Chiang Mai we were staying at the banana guesthouse, but was rudely woken by the smell of gasoline coming from the room next door. I went outside to see what was going on and a man with a mask and a can of gasoline was walking out of the room. I tried to communicate (as best as i could) to what was going on and he told me it was "good." we decided to leave. hahaha. We're currently staying at the Nat G.H. which is in a perfect location right by a ton of cute shops and mouth watering places to eat. Mainly we've been veggin' out at "Aum" a vegetarian cafe that has awesome food for only a dollar an entree!! I tried Kaisow, which is a soupy dish of egg noodles, tofu, coconut milk, potatos, onions..lots of other veggies. It was awesome, but Very spicy!! For the last few days, we've been staying out late and sleeping in late, while spending afternoons at the bookstores and exploring the city. Aaron picked up some pretty awesome titles by Ken Wilber and I found a Tibetan singing brass bowl at one of the "hole in the wall" stores!!  The weather here is gorgeous and the fruit smoothies have never tasted this good.  I'm definitly adding Chiang Mai to my list of places to venture back to! Unfortunatly, we weren't able to stay at the monastery because of having limited time on our Thailand Visas. We have one more day here to visit the temples and do some photography before we had back to home sweet home on Kho San Road (in Bangkok..the first desination of our trip) and then heading to Siam Reap in Cambodia. Until next time.... 

Comments

1

Christine, Looks like you picked a great time of the year to visit. Weather not too hot yet ... and still months to go before the monsoonal rains start. Is there anything you wish you'd brought that you didn't? (aside from more money, that is!) Anything you brought that you shouldn't have?

Just read a blog of another traveller who recentrly travelled from Chaing Mai to Siam Reap via Bangkok. Looks like another long bone-shaker of a bus ride ... though I guess you're getting use to those by now!

And here's some links of interest for your readers:

Chiang Mai
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Mai
http://wikitravel.org/en/Chiang_Mai

Siam Reap (literally, the "Defeat of Siam" ... site of a centuries old battle.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siem_Reap

  Uncle Frank Feb 28, 2009 1:26 AM

2

Hi Christine,
I've taken to "chillin" when I read your posts - how could I not! Your stories about cafes, handicrafts, night markets, bookstores, and yummy fruit smoothies really do it to me! Oh man!!
So glad you're doing well and havin fun!
A big hug from,
Your Aunt Laura

  Aunt Laura and Uncle William Feb 28, 2009 4:29 PM

3

Wow! The picture you paint is heavenly. Thank you!
Namaste,
Mooma

  Mooma Mar 1, 2009 2:12 AM

4

Wow! to everything, Christine!
... and a Tibetan "singing" brass bowl ?!!! Cannot wait to hear its heartwarming sound!

  Aunt Cherrie Mar 1, 2009 5:39 AM

5

Reviewing your blog from the beginning tonight is like taking a trip to an enchanted world... Your birthday celebration, the numerous accounts of delicious foods, sounds and exposure to the intensity and lovely surroundings are so exotic and scrumptious!

Bravo for purchasing the Tibetan bowl!
Thank you for keeping us informed.

- Namaste, Blessings and continue having fun!!!

  Yolanda Mar 4, 2009 1:22 PM

About cl_mcdaniel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.