Existing Member?

Last call to lands I've never been to...

Bonjour from the Luang Probang!!

LAOS | Sunday, 1 February 2009 | Views [447] | Comments [2]

Before another 8 hour bus ride to Luang Probang we were in Phonsavon which was a more rural sketchy town, but had little interesting perks along the way. We visited 3 different sites of the Plain of Jars and the views from the top of the hill where they were located was breath-taking, although the ride there was horrible. Imagine a car with no shocks, packed with sweaty people, down the most twisted bumpy ride i've ever gone down.  Aaron said get used to it cause the roads in cambodia are going to be even worse! blah! anyways, in Phonsavon we saw a documentary called "Bombies" about the secret war in Laos during the mid 60's and the remains of the cluster bombs still highly effecting Laos villages and farmers. (if further interested theres a group called "M.A.G." which does the clean up from the bombs--i believe they have a website)  We also visited a mulberry farm which made wine, tea and naturally dyed and produced beautiful silk scarves!  The markets in Phonsavon were a bit overwhelming. A lot of caged animals, fish in tubs, died animals laid out for selling, fresh fruits and veggies--custard apples are amazing!  After staying there for about a week we were starting to get bored with the place (everything closes early and theres no street lights--so walking around at night was out of the question) We're currently in Luang Probang which i deemed "my home away from home" i'm absolutly in love with it! Great french food, french architecture, lit up night markets selling hill tribe jewlery and clothing, cute little alley ways, temples, gardens, book stores...More details later. Hope everyone's doing great! Namaste!!

Comments

1

Hi, Christine!

Sounds like you're having a truly enlightening trip. Continue to soak it all up and, of course, share your experiences with us! I hope that your camera became functional somewhere along the way (were you able to get your charging cable?) so you'll have some of those splendid photos "that only Christine can take" to share with us when you return.

Love and prayers,
Aunt Cherrie

  Aunt Cherrie Feb 3, 2009 11:05 AM

2

Hi Christine!
So glad to read your post. I'm gonna go online and check out Luang Probang. I've heard amazing things about it - can't wait to hear more from you about your experiences and see pictures too.
I hope you and Aaron are doing well and having fun. Take care!
Sending hugs,
Aunt Laura

  Aunt Laura and Uncle William Feb 4, 2009 4:10 PM

About cl_mcdaniel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.