Existing Member?

The Complete Travel Journals Travelling for the easily frightened

Vietnam Day 2: Cu Chi Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple

VIETNAM | Sunday, 23 December 2007 | Views [1705]

We booked a day trip out of Ho Chi Minh City today, to go to the Cao Dai Temple and the Cu Chi Tunnels. It cost us only 6 US dollars each.

We set off at 8 a.m. A bus picked us up at our guesthouse after breakfast, which was provided free at the guesthouse. The bus was a big coach, and picked up other tourists at other guesthouses along the way out of the city. In total there were about 20 people on our bus, many Germans and French, a small group of Hong Kongers and two Japanese men who didn't speak any English at all and so didn't understand anything.

It was a long drive from Ho Chi Minh City to Tay Ninh, where the biggest Cao Dai Temple, which is also its Holy See, is. We slept most of the way. We reached the temple just before noon, just in time to watch the noon prayers.

Ours wasn't the only bus that had come to watch the ritual, of course. There were hundreds of tourists converging on the temple. It must be quite an annoyance, having to pray everyday with tourists snapping photos of you. But then, only the noon prayer is open to public viewing. Who knows what they do once all the tourist buses leave...

It was a gorgeous temple, very colourful and so different from all the other temples I've seen in Vietnam and the rest of Southeast Asia. We had to take our shoes off at the entrance, then we were all herded to the second floor of the temple, from which we looked down at the prayer hall.

A live band played and a choir of women sang throughout the prayer. The worshippers stood in neat formation and performed their prayers in unison, sitting down, standing up and bowing down as one.

After the prayers were over, we returned to our bus and headed for lunch, at a spot I don't know where. Lunch was simple but nice. I had a sour fish soup with rice, Lianyi and June had chicken. The most exciting thing that happened was one of the Japanese men sat on a chair that broke and he fell over with a loud bang. This was just after he had asked the three of us if we were Thai. Not that there was a connection between the two events.

Then, it was another hour-long ride to Cu Chi, a suburban district of Ho Chi Minh City that served as headquarters for the National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam, also (disparagingly) known as the Viet Cong.

This was the main highlight of going to Ho Chi Minh City for me, so I was plenty excited. The part of the Cu Chi tunnels that is open to tourists is one section of what I can best describe as a park, a large wooded area that's been gated and turned into a tourist destination.

First we were put into a darkened room and made to watch a propaganda video which I barely understood because the video was very old and the sound quality was poor. I even fell asleep. But it was basically talking about how Cu Chi used to be a village of peaceful farmers and schoolkids, but when the US attacked, they all turned into national heroes. The video highlighted a particular schoolgirl who was about 15 who killed many American soldiers and was given a medal for it.

After that we were taken on a tour of the park. There was an American tank that had been left behind from the war, a large crater created by a bomb, several wax figurines depicting the lives of Communist soldiers during the war -- a man writing a letter to his beloved, a woman combing her hair and prettying herself so that, according to our guide, she could flirt with the men.

Our guide, whose name was Hai, was a middle-aged man who had fought during the war, on the American side. He had two missing fingers on his left hand and a wicked deadpan sense of humour that reminded us of the Russian's father. He said, "Some of these women, they flirt with the men, and then afterwards it becomes more than flirting and then she become no longer virgin, because they don't know about... the banana. My English is not good, I don't know how to say it, but you know what I mean. And then nine months later there is a baby. There were many babies born in the tunnels."

In fact the woman who manned the souvenir stall in the park was born in the tunnels, he said.

We also looked at an exhibition of the different types of booby traps that the Communists made during the war. Traps to tear the flesh of your leg, traps to spike your gonads when you burst open a door, traps to make you fall face first onto a bed of rusty nails. There was another installation, complete with electric wax figurines that could move and show how the Communists made their weapons underground.

And then, we were brought to a closet filled with five different types of guns/rifles. An AK-47, an M60, I can't remember what else. For 1 US dollar a bullet, you could fire a round of shots at the shooting range. A lot of the people in our group lined up for it, but the three of us sat out.

It was so fucking loud and only the shooters were given earmuffs (and even they could barely stand the noise, we found out later). My body jerked involuntarily at every shot. This was something I only discovered then, at Cu Chi, that I can't control my body jumping whenever there's a loud noise, even when I'm expecting and waiting for it. I am such a loser. So I basically sat there with my fingers in my ears waiting for it to stop, and learning once and for all that I was not cut out to be a revolutionary.

Finally, finally, after the shooting was over, it was time to crawl into the tunnel. Or at least, 100 metres of it. We first went 2 metres underground, then 6, then 8. The tunnel was very dark the whole way, and at some points completely pitch black. It was so narrow we had to walk while squatting. And note -- this was the part of the tunnel that had been enlarged to twice its original size so that we fat tourists could waddle through it! I cannot even imagine how people had sex in the original tunnel, much less give birth or heal the wounded. But it was so much fun. We were giggling throughout because it was such an impossible thing we were doing. On top of the duck-walking, there were parts where you had to pull yourself up, parts where you had to jump into the darkness and trust that the ground wasn't too far away. I would have done it again if I could. We were exhausted at the end of it, and for the next 2 days, I couldn't walk properly because my thighs hurt so much. But it was totally worth it.

At the end of the tunnel crawl, we were given a nice Communist guerilla treat -- boiled tapioca and peanut sugar. And then it was time to go home. It was another 3-hour drive back to Ho Chi Minh's city centre. We took a shower back at the guesthouse then set out again for dinner. Dinner was a lovely French meal at the French Cultural Centre. Lianyi had this amazing tuna steak, we'd never had anything like it before. And then we had some really good desserts -- chocolate mousse, profiteroles, apple crumble with ice cream.

After dinner June left us to take a train to Hue, while Lianyi and I went for drinks at the Rex Hotel -- because Lonely Planet told us to, of course.

The rooftop bar at the hotel gave us a nice view of Ho Chi Minh City. We could see slummy apartments standing right next to swanky hotels. We could look into people's homes, watch them walking around their TV sets. We saw a lot of old buildings taking their time to rot, but also a city rapidly taking on change and progress. And then our attention was caught by a group of motorcyclists zooming through the streets waving giant Vietnamese flags and cheering at the top of their lungs.

We found out later that the jubilance was due to Vietnam beating Laos at soccer in the SEA Games that night, but the passion of their ecstasy puzzled us. No offence Xai and the people of Laos, but... doesn't everyone expect to win against Laos?

The rooftop of the Rex Hotel was also a nice vantage point from which to say goodbye to Ho Chi Minh City. We were going to Hanoi the next morning. We went back to the guesthouse exhausted and hungry for sleep. But at 5 a.m. our neighbour could be heard yelling at her child and beating it again, and the child could be heard wailing in response

Tags: cao dai, cu chi, ho chi minh city, saigon, vietnam

About cisoux


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.