Existing Member?

Herbs in Shanghai

The Clinic Routine

CHINA | Tuesday, 4 September 2007 | Views [303]

We are now approaching one week in Shanghai and are starting to settle into a routine. We awake in the morning and go grab some breakfast. Most of us opt for Bao Zi, which is a delicious steamed flour dumpling filled with either meat or veggies. There is a great little shop that sells them from the sidewalk about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. There are 0.7rmb each or about 10 cents US. 3 of them is a BIG breakfast. There is also a Starbucks about 5 minutes from the hotel that many students are hitting in the morning. So far I have held out, opting instead to brew tea in my room, but I am sure there is corporate coffee in my near future.

We then are picked up by a private bus at 7:30 and taken to one of two area hospitals. Once there we spend the rest of the morning observing patients getting either acupuncture or herbal formulas (often both). On average we are seeing between 10 and 30 patients per shift. We are then bussed back to the hotel and have a lunch break. Many of us use this time to call home, as it is late evening back in Seattle. At 1:30 we then sit for a 2-3 hour lecture, on various topics. So far we have covered constipation, gastritis, and pain of the back, neck and knees. The quality of the lectures is quite good.

After a review of the day, we then have our evenings free. Common activities are sight seeing, shopping, and going to the library for some internet time. Dinners are always an adventure, and we are all exploring the wide variety of foods available.

Most of us are crashing by about 10:00 PM. A common theme seems to be waking around 4:00am. We think that this may be due to the fact that it is noon in Seattle (accounting for daylight savings time) which is the zenith of Yang energy that our bodies are used to.

More updates to follow.

Tags: Work

About cirenitram


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.