Existing Member?

Around the World in Two Years A day in the life of a backpack.

Korean Clayos

SOUTH KOREA | Monday, 30 July 2007 | Views [368]

Korean Clayos

Once Ian and I settled into our jobs, it was only a matter of time until life began to take on a familiar, monotonous rhythm. So we decided it was time to shake things up a bit and get muddy. Every summer in South Korea, a famous Mud Festival is held. People flock from all over to attend because it is such an experience. It's a week long festival, featuring mud pits, mud slides, mud obstacle courses, and essentially anything else they can think of where mud can be incorporated.

On arrival, we expected to walk into complete pandemonium. We were surprised to discover not only the lack of bedlam we were so hoping for, but nary a speck of mud was to be seen anywhere! What gives? Apparently, Koreans are even organized when it comes to liquid dirt, which is actually gray clay. The clay it turns out was confined to one particular area of the beach. As we made our way down the beach we witnessed the half hearted attempts to get the party started, by people trying to roll around in kids blown up swimming pools full of gray muck. Surely this was not what we had come all this way for. But as we kept walking, the evidence of a real party became more convincing, as each passing Korean looked more and more like a granite statue come to life. What we eventually walked into was all out clayos. There were huge blow-up mud slides, mud obstacle courses, mud gladiator pits, a mud jail, and so much other mud inspired entertainment, we didn't know where to look! Now this was more like it. We had an absolute ball. By the end of the day, large vats of lavender, and bright blue clay were appearing everywhere. Our friend Michael and I went totally mental and practically threw ourselves into them.

Everywhere we turned were at least 50 Korean photographers trying to catch that perfect photo of foreigners gone wild. They were going as crazy as we were though, following us everywhere and screaming at us to pose this way or that. It was actually a lot of fun, but after half an hour we finally had to walk away.... with them still following us, of course. It was like being chased by paparazzi. We are absolutely convinced that we're going to be on next years brochures.

All in all it was the most fun we have had so far in Korea. Even though the blond streaks in my hair are STILL died blue, and my yellow and white bikini is now green and blue, and probably always will be. It was all worth it though. I already can't wait till next year's!



























=















Tags: Culture

About cindyhowes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.