Existing Member?

Around the World in Two Years A day in the life of a backpack.

Back to Australia

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 24 May 2007 | Views [307]

Back to Australia

After weeks debating what to do once our Thailand visas had run out, we decided our best option was to go somewhere where we could use a computer without a per minute rate, sleep in a bed that hadn't been slept in by a thousand others, and as ridiculous as it sounds, relax for a few weeks, while getting our bearings and figuring out what our next move was. We felt the winds from the north stirring, so we allowed them to carry us back to the little island we had once inhabited. The island of Oz.

Ian's parents picked us up from the airport, and in a way it felt like we had never left. It always does feel that way though, doesn't it? We got right back into the groove of Australian life. I had almost forgot about the three Bs. Beer, Barbecue, and Bread. What? Something OTHER than stir-fried rice and cheap Thai whiskey? My system almost shut down. Before we had even put our bags down, the questions started rolling in. How long are you staying? Where are you going next? We weren't altogether sure ourselves, but we were aiming toward Korea in approximately three weeks. Although everyone was really supportive about the idea, undoubtedly, some were very surprised that Ian of all people would consider teaching in Korea for an entire year, and questioned how realistic we were being. "What if you don't like it out there?... A year is a long time." "How will you be able to teach English if you don't speak any Korean?" We definitely had the same doubts.

Within days the suits we had had made in Vietnam finally arrived. It became painfully clear what a bad idea it was to have gotten fitted for suits while trying to recover from hook-worm. Nothing came even close to buckling, buttoning or zipping up. Sigh...I blame it on the three Bs. Meanwhile, Ian's suits fit like a glove, of course, so it was only necessary for him to model them (just to be sure), while gloating about his freakish metabolism. No, no bitterness here.

The weeks flew by. We used computers, slept in proper beds, and ate as much bread as we could handle. Ian was able to work for a few weeks, which eased our minds a bit. From the moment we landed, our savings were under constant attack. How had we forgotten how incredibly expensive Australia is? While Ian worked, I spent days going through our thousands of pictures. Pretty much the most tedious thing I've ever done. It was a nice surprise to find out we were missing a bunch of photos that should have been on a CD we had had burned for us. Tip: Never let someone else burn your cards to CDs while in Asia. Apparently, they don't care whether they have burned your pictures or someone else's onto your disc. Lesson learned.

The highlight of our stay was a short trip up to Mt. Hothom to visit Ian's sister Maree, and her boyfriend Orm. Maree and Orm live in a little mud brick cottage that Orm's father had built decades ago. Although it lacked electricity and an indoor toilet, it made up for it in charm. We had a great time hiking,(Ian saw a bunch of platypus in the river next to their place) barbequing, and bonfiring. For two days Orm and Maree built up a bonfire the size of a house. They invited over their neighbors, who weren't exactly close by since Orm's driveway alone is 14 km long and is surrounded by remote kangaroo country. We found out pretty quickly that kangaroos were not the only creatures to inhabit the area. One of the first things Maree and Orm told us after we arrived, was about their resident bat. They told us so casually that I don't think it completely registered until we woke up that night to the sound of flapping wings only inches a above our heads. Around and around and around our room it flew, for what seemed like hours. It even let out the occasional squeak to let us know how appreciative it was for the audience. Odd, yet somehow it fit the atmosphere so well that we didn't really mind.

In the meantime my visa for Korea was supposed to be processing, but there were problems with transcripts, problems with photos, problems with passports, not to even mention all the red tape with Ian's visa. Weeks of frustration and uncertainty followed until all of a sudden everything was processed and we were instructed to board the next plane out of Melbourne. We were delayed almost a month, but were still almost panic-stricken when it was confirmed we were actually GOING! Some quick packing and even quicker good-byes, and we were back on a plane, off to start our next chapter.































Tags: Family

About cindyhowes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.