Existing Member?

Around the World in Two Years A day in the life of a backpack.

Climbing Krabi

THAILAND | Wednesday, 28 March 2007 | Views [296]

Back to Thailand....

It felt so strange stepping back onto Thai soil, never mind that everything just got so much more expensive! (Relatively) We arrived on Koh Chang, once again at night and had to practically feel our way along the beach to find accommodations, it was so dark and secluded. Another tiny beach shack, with no beach and twice the price of anywhere else we'd stayed like that. Oh, how we missed Cambodia! If border crossings weren't such a hassle, we would have turned right around and gone back. Koh Chang ended up being beautiful though. How can you hate ANOTHER tropical island. We chilled out on the nearby beach during the day and at night reunited with nearly everyone we had met over the last three weeks, just by chance in this one particular bar on the beach. It was great! Three days on Koh Chang and it was time to move on. We bought our boat/bus ticket and caught a tuk-tuk to the landing.....the wrong landing. The driver had dropped us off at a landing for a boat that took us to the same place, but with a different company. With our 200 pound packs, we races up toward a group of drivers standing around and begged one of them to take us to the other landing. He looked at his watch, shook his head, then motioned us to jump in. As we sped along, he got on his phone and urged the boat that was leaving that very minute, to hold on. The boat was just pulling away when we arrived, so we ran as fast as we could and at the last second, jumped on and actually made it! We could not believe it. Once we got to shore, we sat and watched what was supposed to be our bus, being pushed down the road by 10 Thai men, the bus being a double decked VIP bus, taking the phone lines along with it. Why do we ALWAYS get these buses?!....

We arrived back in Bangkok and oddly enough it was strangely like being home...a really dirty, smelly home, but familiar none the less. We made our way back to our old guest house and settled right back in like we had never left. The next few days were spent corresponding back and forth with Korean school directors about potential job openings for English teaching positions. It was overwhelming to say the least, so Ian and I thought, lets get outta here. We caught the next bus south and headed straight to Krabi. After a very long bus ride, and yet another incident involving our bus leaving us stranded outside of the town, then demanding we pay more to actually take us into town, we made it to the pier, then jumped into a tiny boat, which putt-putted us all the way to a little beach called Tonsai, on Railay Island. Railay beach is actually rated one of the top ten beaches in the world. We were very happy to be there. This island is a rock climber's mecca and climbers flock from all over the world just to spend months and months scaling the huge rock walls around the island. Ian and I threw our stuff into a crappy little cabin in the forest, the giant hole in the floor free of charge, of course, then headed down to the beach. We were actually lucky enough to meet a guy, then another girl separately, both from Toronto! Mike, Ian, Pam and I, grabbed our gear headed out on a little hike, then spent the next few hours climbing. Its been ages for me, so I needed the practice, but as usual, Ian scaled those babies like it was nothing. He does have the upper hand though, having muscles and all....hmph! The next four days were spent hiking, climbing, swimming in the crystal blue water, watching movies on the outdoor screen on the beach, drinking, making friends, and watching the most interesting Thai boxing match I have ever seen. Out in the water they set up a log lying horizontal across two platforms at each end. When night fell, almost everyone on the entire island congregated onto the beach to watch what was to unfold. Two of the smallest Thai men I have ever seen, wearing boxing gloves as big as their heads, mounted the log and sat down with it between their legs, facing each other. Then they were drenched with buckets of water and all of a sudden that great big log became a great big hazard. The men, while still sitting, just started kicking and punching each other, while trying to stay on the wet log. Before we knew it, both of them had slid upside down, and still holding on with their legs, were STILL kicking and punching each other until one or both fell off into the water. Ian and I were falling off of our chairs laughing! It was SO funny. It was like watching real live Punch and Judy dolls just going at it, while soaking wet and upside down. After that, things got out of hand when random drunken travellers started getting up and attempting their own boxing matches amongst themselves. Needless to say, it got messy.

The night got even more interesting when we arrived back at our room only to find it infested (and I mean SWARMS), with giant flying ants. What do you expect with a giant hole in your floor? The receptionist came with his giant spray gun (this must happen a lot) and started spraying them from the outside, so of course, they all swarmed INside. I ran out of the cabin and almost got sideswiped by a passing bat, when out of no where, a stray cat ran by me and into our room to play with the flying ants. AhhhhHH! Eventually, they gave us another room....also with a giant hole in the floor.

Krabi was amazing. Besides being the island of adventure, it was also stunningly beautiful, and became our favorite place in Thailand so far. Ian has now become obsessed with climbing and although he only started in December, he can easily keep up with the "experienced climbers", without killing himself. I am proud.

Well back up to Bangkok to meet up with Brent, who is flying in from Hong Kong. Yay! Can't wait to have family here!

























 

Tags: Adrenaline

About cindyhowes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.