Existing Member?

Around the World in Two Years A day in the life of a backpack.

Vietnam, the last installment.......

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 28 February 2007 | Views [289]

Vietnam, the last installment.......

On to Saigon.

Scott, Reinira, Ian and I skedaddled out of Da Lat and cruised our way into Ho Chi Minh City, formerly known as Saigon. What a city! Our impression of Vietnam had not been good thus far (could you tell?) but right away we had a good feeling about this city. Bigger and busier than Hanoi, it actually gave off a far calmer vibe, as there was much more space to accommodate the gazillions of motorbike we were once again destined to battle. It is just incredible what people carry on their motorbikes - fridges, mattresses, a family of six! This city was full of life, from the huge beautiful parks, to the neon buzz of the tourist district at night. Also, we could feel the history just oozing out of the cracks, which made us eager to get out and see the sites!

After finding a little room with a balcony over the "main drag", we hired a driver to take us straight to the Cu Chi tunnels. At its height, the tunnel system stretched from Saigon to the Cambodian border and was three levels deep. Today the remaining tunnels have become a major tourist attraction giving the visitor a feel of what underground life in the war must have been like. The tunnels of Cu Chi are a vast network of connecting underground tunnels located in the Cu Chi district of Vietnam, and are part of a much larger network of tunnels that underlie much of the country. The CuChi tunnels were the location of several military campaigns during the Vietnam War. They were used by NLF guerrillas as hiding spots during combat and as communication and supply routes, hospitals, food and weapon caches and living quarters for numerous guerrilla fighters. The tunnel systems were essential for the resistance of American operations and prolonging the war, eventually persuading the exhausted Americans into withdrawal.

If you're interested in finding out more information, go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cu_Chi_tunnels

Exploring the tunnels was absolutely unreal. We walked through the jungle, where the guide brushed off a tiny patch of leaves from the ground to expose a lid the size of a woman's small handbag that covered an entrance hole. We could not believe that an actual human being could fit into it. But we tried it and we did. Once in, it’s on hands and knees from there and if you weren't claustrophobic before, you'd probably discover you were then.

The next day, Ian and I went to the War Remnants Museum, which was the biggest eye opener I think I've ever had. Obviously everyone has heard how devastating the Vietnam War was, but until you read the stories, see the photographs and worst of all, the aftermath, it is impossible to really get a good idea of what it must have been like. As a result of the war, approximately 67,000 Americans, including war correspondents and over 5.1 million Vietnamese died. Ever since, the country has been dealing with the effects of Agent Orange, an herbicide used to clear jungle brush in order to capture enemy, but has since made its way through soil and waterways, which has resulted in a generation plagued by serious birth defects. Also, napalm which has left thousands scarred and disfigured. We also saw some of the torture devices and chambers that were used during the war and the effect were so grotesque, I'll refrain from going into detail.

Obviously the devastation wasn't only for the Vietnamese. Ian and I remembered meeting a man back in Thailand two months earlier. He just sat down while we were eating and started talking to us. He was from California and had fought in the Vietnam War and decided to come back with his son. As he told us stories, he cried, even though it had been forty years since. He wished us luck on our trip and got up to walk away. It wasn't until then that we realized he was missing a leg. We watched him walk away with his son and it hit us how strong these people must be to deal with the scars for the rest of their lives. Phew! Very heavy.

Although Vietnam was tough for us to go through, we are aware of what the people have gone through and it makes it a bit easier to understand why they are the way they are. Years of trying to protect themselves have made them very cynical people, and for good reason. Our trip to Saigon and the things we learned there made everything else we experienced in Vietnam worth it. It really is a beautiful country. But they still have a long way to go......


































Tags: Sightseeing

About cindyhowes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.