Existing Member?

Around the World in Two Years A day in the life of a backpack.

New Zealand, Finally!

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 25 February 2006 | Views [280]

New Zealand, Finally!



...continued

So, a last minute flight landed me in Christchurch at the end of the week and all of a sudden there I was, reunited with my best friend once again! The next three days I was pampered and spoiled by Sue. If anyone is heading over that way, I recommend you stay with her. Boy, does she know how to treat a guest! She'll even get you work! The day after I arrived, Sue and I bartended a private party for a girl she knew from work. This house, or should I say "houses" on this property were incredible. This property is by the ocean, with a hot tub looking out over it. They had tents and tables set up everywhere and a hundred and fifty guests to fill them all up! It was a Rio/ Savannah themed party so everyone was wearing bright coloured frilled blouses and skirts (even some of the men) They even hired Rio dancers who wore big head dresses. Sequences and feathers everywhere! Did I mention Sue and I were in charge of distributing the alcohol......at the open bar? Let the party begin! The night did start out with one near disasterous mishap after the first attempt at serving a cup of lethal, antifreeze-worthy punch out of the 500 year old slushy machine. As soon as Sue pressed down on the lever, it decided to stay there and a geyser of punch like you've never seen sprayed, no, projected out of that sucker! It was impressive. While my first instinct was to stand in front of it with my mouth wide open, I went with my second instinct and tried to stick my thumb up the faucet (By the way, that doesn't work. In fact, it makes it worse) Meanwhile, Sue was running around like a chicken with her head cut off, trying to find a bin to catch it with. Although it was no "thumb in the faucet" tactic, it seemed to do the job. All we heard for the rest of the night was "So, have you learned how to use the punch machine yet?" At least we can say that every guest at that party will remember their bartenders that night.

Although my ordeal with Thomas should have taught me a lesson, I decided to give it another go and once again put up flyers at hostels, looking for others to travel the south island with. The very next day while Sue and I were climbing at her gym this couple showed up and basically said, "We're leaving immediately, are you in?" I had no time to think so I said yes and before we knew it, they had their tent set up in Suzanne's backyard for the night and we were on the road the next morning. Raoul the Irish man and Karen the German girl. Yes another one. Have I mentioned there are gazillions over here? I never have to go back to Germany because I'm getting the full experience over here! Carrie, are there any left over there? For those of you who don't know, Carrie, Fabio and Elliot are moving to Germany as I'm writing this. I'll probably know more German than they do by the time I get there.

The next few days were a total whirlwind. We first drove to Arthurs Pass and did a day hike that nearly killed me. 2 hours on rolling rock at a 45% angle. I thought I'd have a heart attack when we finally reached the summit, then this couple who had to be in their 60's plodded up next to me and say "Oh, wasn't that a nice walk". A NICE WALK? Apparently these people have blood made from diesel or I'm incredibly out of shape. I'd go with the latter.

The next day we spent the morning bathing in hot springs, surrounded by mountains where the clouds weren't hovering above us, but were around us. Very hard to describe how beautiful it was. Then we raced to Kaikoura to do an evening whale-watch, which was so fascinating! That night we camped by the side of the road beside this field of tall grass. I kept waking up in the middle of the night hearing snarling and growling, and thinking our tent was being attacked. It wasn't until morning that Karen admitted she snores.....ferociously. The very next morning we were on the ferry crossing the Cook Strait and landed in Wellington where Raoul and Karen went on there merry way and I was left once again to put up notices for people to travel with.

I've been in Wellington for only four days now, but it seems like two weeks! This is my favourite city so far and I really don't want to leave. Wellington's annual Arts Festival JUST started and I've been going crazy seeing plays and documentaries, not to mention all the free museums! It's unbelievable how they can afford to run these places without charging admission! Today I rode the old cable car up to the cable car museum. What was most impressive was how they created an entire cable car museum with only TWO cable cars inside! Now that takes creativity. After that I walked around the beautiful Botanic Gardens in search of "Lady Norwood's Rose Garden". There were signs for it everywhere, so naturally I'd be intrigued. This had to be some rose garden! After searching for it for 45 minutes, I finally climb the last hill before having this supposed garden of Eden revealed to me, when all of a sudden I turned a corner and started walking down again, only to pass another sign for it pointing back up the hill. There WAS no rose garden! Apparently by "rose garden" they meant a bunch of random plants that look exactly like the rest of the gardens, none of which come close to resembling a rose. I felt ripped off, so I went to the planetarium within the park thinking it would be a good idea to brush up on my southern hemisphere constellations before camping for the next three weeks. This place must have been a hundred years old. As soon as we got in there, we were warned that the stars were assembled on the roof in order to suit the electrical wiring and were not even close to what we'd actually see in the sky, "So keep that in mind". .....wwwwhat? What's the point of a planetarium that provides you with a totally inaccurate night sky? Instead of Scorpio I'll be looking for a Turtle, instead of the Southern Cross, I'll be looking for the Southern Octagon, and Orion's Belt had become Orion's shoes. On top of that, the projector actually casted it's shadow across the whole sky, and half the machine's buttons didn't work so we were kept being told to "imagine" whatever she was telling us about. Oh well, at least the museums were really good.

So I have found new travelling partners, both of whom I just met yesterday. They haven't actually met each other yet, but they will when Polly, an English girl and I take the ferry back to the south to meet up with Neil, an English lad who is in Picton waiting for us. So, onto another adventure. I have a good feeling about this one....... not that that means a thing. As long as he doesn't shave his armpits, this might actually work out. Wish me luck!

Pics






Tags: On the Road

About cindyhowes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.