Existing Member?

Around the World in Two Years A day in the life of a backpack.

An Amazing Turn of Events

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 31 January 2006 | Views [247]

An Amazing Turn of Events...

After Suzanne left, I felt pretty lost for a couple days. After such a full-on trip, hanging out in Melbourne on my own wasn't exactly the best time ever. Fortunately I did still have Katie and Amy there, although both were busy with work and looking for apartments. I did do a short stint (three hours to be exact) of touting flyers at the Australian Open to get a free nights accommodation at my hostel (remember, on a budget). Pretty much the most humiliating experience of my life as I had to carry around a backpack with a skyscraper sized billboard sitting on the top of it. Amy, thank goodness kept me company through this painful ordeal, which was slightly dulled by our on-going fits of laughter. Every time I'd walk under a tree I'd get latched onto a branch and get swept right off my feet. Ignoring the stares of every passerby who stopped in their tracks to gawk at me, Amy would patiently turn around and unhook me from the branch, only for it to happen again 2 minutes later. Could it get any worse? Yup. After almost being forcibly removed by two huge security guards from the Australian Open (technically we weren't supposed to be there, but come on, did they really need TWO? How threatening do I look?) I headed back to the hostel and quit.

Things soon picked up however, and I began loving life again when I remembered I had met a very nice local before Sue and I went away, who told me to contact him when I got back. Well I did and boy was that the best decision I could have made! My now very good friend Ian was kind enough to invite Amy, our friend Lauren and I to a restaurant with him and his friends. Bare with me because this story is priceless. Remember I told you about meeting Cheryl Crow's guitarist on Fitzroy island 3 months ago? Well him and Amy have been "dating" ever since and since he lives in Melbourne Amy invited him out with all of us. Meanwhile, Ian, his friends, his sister and all of us are having a great time at this restaurant when the subject of this guy comes up and to make a very long story shorter we all realize that he's the same guy that's been dating Ian's sister for the last 3 months. Ian's sister, who is sitting beside Amy. As we all sat there waiting for him to show up to the restaurant you could cut the tension in the air. Anyway, he showed up, all hell broke lose, they both dumped him and now Amy and Ian's sister are best friends. Priceless!!! I'm sorry but WHAT ARE THE CHANCES????

Anyway, quick breakdown of Ian: Massage Therapist, Tennis Instructor, Snowboard Instructor and about a million other things. Best of all, Landscaper for the ex-CEO of Pepsi whose house we hung out at the whole next day. We spent the day swimming in his pool and playing tennis on the court in his BACKYARD! I didn't know whether to be more impressed by the 6 cars in the driveway, either Lexus or BMW or by the photos of him and Michael Jackson on the walls. In other words, Ian is a VERY good friend to have. The next week we went camping and this is where the mishaps and adventures of Ian and Cindy begin. We decided to rent a car to camp along the Great Ocean Road. I was picking up the car and after my going away party the night before (oh yeah, because it was the last time I'd see all my friends before leaving Melbourne to Perth) I was feeling pretty foggy headed. Before we even left the city, I turned a corner and drove right onto the tram tracks. This is a very bad thing considering it's a whole separate section where cars are forbidden to go. The cars around me were going bizzurk, while Ian was calmly saying "Um, you might want to get off them now...right now...right now." After that things were okay until I backed into the barbecue while pulling out of our camp site. Our first night on the site we had to battle gale-force winds to put up our tent, which we realized had the wrong tent poles and ended up looking, as Ian described, "as a shriveled grape"...... or raisin I guess. Right. We had a great time though, either doing the treetop walk (yeah, hate heights), visiting the 12 Apostles of which only 8 are still standing (They were magnificent! ) or just setting up our chairs in the river, with a drink in hand while being covered in ash from the nearby bush fires that have been raging through Victoria. Feeling relaxed and thinking the last of my mishaps were out of the way, on our last day camping as we were packing up and making breakfast, I accidentally cut off my finger tip with my Swiss Army knife. Needless to say it is very hard to type right now and my signature looks as though a 5 year old is trying to forge my signature. So we rushed back to Apollo Bay, (Ian making me laugh the whole way) and got my finger put back on and bandaged up. Aaaalllll good!

Once we got back to Melbourne we didn't stay long. Ian's friend owns a yacht on Sydney Harbour, where they'd decided to spend Australia day and they invited me along. We left on a 12 hour road trip back to Sydney and spent the next three days on the boat. On Australia day a bunch of their Navy Seal friends came and joined us, and we sailed to the Opera House to pick up Ian's sister from outside. How cool did she look?! The whole day was spent sailing around the harbour swimming, drinking, eating and basically having the time of our lives! I could not be luckier. It all had to come to a very sad end though as I had a flight to catch out of Sydney to Perth.

So here I am in Perth on my own, sick as a dog, with a very sore finger. Sigh... was too good to last I suppose. Time to start a new chapter to my trip. As soon as I arrived, I posted notices in every hostel I could find, seeing if anyone wanted to drive the west coast with me. By the end of the day I received 6 responses, ending off with a nice German guy with a car and I nice German girl wanting to come with us. I met them last night and they are wonderful. We will be leaving in 2 days, travelling together for the next month or so. I am so excited! We all are! So Good-bye Victoria, Hello West Coast!

























Tags: Adventures

About cindyhowes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.