Existing Member?

Around the World in Two Years A day in the life of a backpack.

Did I say new Zealand?

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Friday, 14 October 2005 | Views [211]

Thursday, October 13, 2005






Well, I must have been mistaken. Flying stanby certainly has its perks....until you get stuck somewhere, that somewhere being Vancouver. So for the first 4 days of my trip, instead of "G'Day", it was just "Hi" (that's how they say hello in Vancouver) I was very lucky to have awsome friends who like me weren't working and were able to hang out with me. It was certainly a lot more fun than it could have been.
After a few trips to the airport we felt like enough was enough and my father, my hero decided to escort me onto Hawaii. One step closer. So for the past 4 glorious days it's been "Aloha", but so I don't sound like a loser I still say "hi". So it was just me and my dad hanging in Waikiki. Yup, that's right. Sniff...no big deal. Yeah, it's pretty awesome here. After the Vancouver cold and rain, which wouldn't have been so bad if I had clothes other than sandals and shorts (I hear Toronto is the same) the sun and beach were quite welcoming. Up until yesterday my dad and i were staying in the Coral Reef hotel beside a bar called "Da Big Kahuna". I'm not kidding, they actually HAVE one of those! I've also never knew a coconut could be carved into so many different kinds of monkey. Fascinating. My favorite discovery so far though is the fact that Don Ho is STILL here!!! and as my dad pointed out to me, still singing Tiny Bubbles. He was here on my parent's honeymoon. Too Funny! So after a few days of hanging out on the beach, drinking beer and Mai Tais and eating mahi, my dad has finally left me, but with some good memories. Because I'm here on my own for my birthday tomorrow, ahem, my dad took me to a fancy luau to celebrate it early. To say I've been spoiled would be an understatement. There were over 500 people at this luau (yes, I counted) and the host got me to stand up while everyone sang me happy birthday. My dad thinks of everything. Oh, but the fun wasn't over, oh no. For the grand finale of the show, I was pulled backstage, dressed up in a hawaiian skirt and palm crown and was told do whatever the Hawaiian dancer did on stage. Well, the guy went crazy....which left me no choice but to go crazy as well. Then four Hawaiin male dancers started closing in on me until they were wildly spinning around me, bumping me back and forth, trying to make a Cindy milkshake. Thank goodness my dad got it aaaaallll on video. It is surely a moment I will want to relive many times over.

So, here I still am, staying at the Waikiki Beachside Hostel, phone # 808.923.9566, so feel free to call me!.... or make reservations for your own trip. It's a pretty nice hostel. There's only one crack-head in my room. My dad's not laughing right now. He met him. Anyway, he's a very nice crack-head and I've met a ton of other people already. I already have trips planned, the next one being up to the north shore. I am having the time of my life. That's why I'm still here and not in Australia...or more importantly in New Zealand. (I'll get there soon Pete and Sue!)

So I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you. Thank you so much to all of you who sent birthday wishes. They really mean a lot to me. I've been loving your emails too so pleeeease keep them coming, even if I can't respond right away. My grocery budget has gone soley into internet cafes so far and at some point I have to eat so I might not be able to respond immediately. i will try my best though.

Anyway, wish you were all here!!!!

Love, Cindy xo

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

About cindyhowes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.