Existing Member?

Land of the Long White Cloud

Franz Josef Glacier

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 26 February 2016 | Views [337]

Guess what?  The clouds lifted and it was a rather clear day here in Franz Josef so we headed for the glacier!!  The first trail said great view of glaciers at Peter's Pool.  Well, 60 years ago the glacier was all the way down to the pond.  In the picture I took with the reflection on the water, the glacier, in 1954 was right behind this pond.  It has now receded several km.  My pictures of the glacier are from a trail about 10 minutes from the parking area.  Very beautiful day with lots of waterfalls in addition to the great views of the glacier.

 

We also took a picture from the inside of the car of the one lane bridges that are prevalent here along the coast highway!!  Very interesting and some of them you just want to cross in a hurry!!

 

Today's drive up the coast took us out to the Tasman Sea for views on a sunny day.  Then, into Hotikita which is known for it's galleries of jade artists and other Kiwi stuff.  We are heading there next for a little shopping.

 

Bill spoke with some ladies from England and Australia.  They all shake their head at Trump and wonder what America is thinking!!  Our position in the world is very critical and many of the people we have spoken with have said they are interested in our politics because it affects their countries so much.  We play a greater role in world politics than we realize!!

About cindya


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.