Existing Member?

Land of the Long White Cloud

Kia Ora (hello!)

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 21 February 2016 | Views [268] | Comments [1]

Our drive from the Banks Peninsula to Otago Peninsula outside of Dunedin was long but pretty!  My toes are not curled as tightly and I am using the blinker more frequently than the winds-hield wipers to signal turning and it is getting easier to have cars pass on the right.  Thank goodness the gas and brake pedals are in the same order as our cars except on the right side!

Today we rode the Taieri Gorge Railway train from Dunedin to Middlemarch up on the Central Otago plains.  It's a private train that has restored vintage cars from from the early 1900's.  It is now pulled by diesel engines but Bill was glad to hear that it was steam engines that initially traveled this route carrying supplies and animals!

As you will see from the pictures, the scenery is beautiful and filled with sheep!!  However, there are not only a lot of sheep in this country but there are a lot of dairy cows.  It's interesting, the sheep are cleaner (whiter) than those in Wyoming and the dairy cows are not near as fragrant as those in southern Idaho!

Just a little Kiwi humor- we went to a cafe/tea house before the train ride and the chalk board read "Tea puns- "One small steep for man, one giant leaf for mankind."  Gotta love it!!

Now off to Te Anua where we will take a trip into Doubtful Sound!

Enjoy the pictures!

Comments

1

Haha! That is a funny tea joke. Too bad I am not a tea person. Loving the pictures, although my phone won't let me open your link you sent me, so I have to do all my looking and commenting on the work computer. I am glad you guys enjoyed the trains, I am somehow not surprised that Billiam sniffed those puppies out first thing! Keep having fun and posting lots of photos!!

_Sammy H.

  Sammy Feb 23, 2016 7:44 AM

About cindya


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.